DIY welded rings findings.

Started by gstours, December 28, 2019, 03:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

The flux cleans off oxides and if your rings are real bad muriatic acid will clean them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

Thanks for the information everyone. :)  I use a simple small stainless steel wire hand brush for cleaning currently.  A person might be able to use an acid like lee said if necessary.  any mechanical rotory devise needs to be somewhat soft and controllable as these things seem to disappear from the holding..   Like in a welding process the parts have to be clean.... 
   Another thing the testor may want to think about might be multiple or what i,d call chain testing, where you could test at the same time several rings, with a swivel ,or swivels, snaps, a questionable split ring, or even a fishing line knot, or like Lee pictured a crimp and get it all done at once.   I think we are in general a proud lot, Butt you don,t know till you really know. ??? ???

Keta

Here is one of my disappointments, one would think a quality hook would not deform at 50#.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Thanks for the cleaning tips!  thats what I was missing.  plus my torch is not quite enough.  it has a pinpoint flame but its hard to heat up more than the very tips of the ring.  got a better one on order now, plus a pair of sidecutters that I can easily cut my old rings off with.   my handy old craftsmen set that I love so much just wont do it.

Lee:youre gonna need a bigger hook.

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on January 05, 2020, 05:54:23 PM
Here is one of my disappointments, one would think a quality hook would not deform at 50#.

Wow! That looks like an Owner hook...hard to believe.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Glad I got up this morning. :D   Thanks Lee for making a diversion from my questions that make people uncomfortable. :)
    This is what happens with inquiring minds and idle hands after the holidays.   There must be a scientific explanation for the hook nearing the failure.    Oar a legal one like "its not a failure as no fish was lost"........ ???

Keta

50# is a lot on a 2/0 hook and I am glad the hook failed before my ring.  I plan on testing hooks in the future. 

Mark Twain

Hardy Boy

That's what I was getting at in my post re testing all of your gear in your setup. I think your rings at 80 lbs or more will not be really worth worrying about. Knots, hooks, rings, line and swivels ....... something has to break first. 50 lbs to bend out a hook you are going to be fishing on 40 or 60 lb flouro is not worth worrying about unless you are going to hand balm in a fish over the rail. Still fun to play around though. Just my thoughts. I would like to see some tests done on gear like jigs and lures and see where failures start to occur.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Keta

Unless I use a pulley and 2 parts of line I am limited to 175#.  I am currently searching my shop for a small pulley.

Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Alot of the commercial longline hooks break or bend in the 350-750lb range.  We have some recent testing data but it is not published publically available yet.  Though I belive there is some published data available on some of these hooks.  Commercial longline hook type, size, and diameters have been regulated so that the hooks are weak enough to release any incidentally hooked Pilot whales (east coast), False Killer whales (Hawaii), and Bluefin Tuna (GOM).  Take reduction team reports might provide some insights.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

gstours

Its ok for some tackle to break sometimes,  butt when your in the derby and you kinda want to win.