Casting help needed

Started by David Hall, January 04, 2020, 07:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

For light gear used for bass trout perch etcetera I have practice plugs to use for practice casting, they're something like 3/8 ounce hard rubber readily  available online.  My problem is I cannot find anything larger so I can practice my casting with heavier gear.
My rod is 8'6" seeker 40-60# with a trans 500 loaded with 80# braid.  I'm not trying to get any great distance more just tuning my technique for casting anything from live baits to surface irons.  I'm not sure what kind of weight range  I should be looking for? 
I would appreciate input from those in the know, what do you use for your practice weight?  I'll be casting mostly in the street in front of my house.

Fishy247

For practicing throwing live bait, you can go with the old school method of using a clothespin. It'll also help you learn to not cast your bait off. Another thing I came up with is using an unweighted swimbait. A 5" paddle tail like a Big Hammer or such replicates the weight and air resistance you get throwing a flylined sardine. You can attach it to your line with a snap. To practice throwing surface iron, you can use one without a hook that you don't plan on fishing, cut a chunk of raw aluminum. That'll get you pretty close to throwing the real deal.

Tiddlerbasher

For practice I used to cast lead weights with foam wrapped around - to simulate bulk like a lure. If it was 'delicate' a clothes peg and weight with something clipped in the peg (something to resemble 'soft' bait like offcuts from a joint of meat, anything like that really).

Swami805

It's also helpful to have obstacles around you or something to simulate being on a boat  use different angles over your shoulder or with something behind you so you can't get a full back swing. Also if you can find something elevated to practice under lobbing something lite.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

Ever notice how you can cast a purpose made casting plug better than anything else you own?  Is it a density thing?
-steve

Crow

A year , or so, ago....somebody suggested a tennis ball....split, so a sinker could be inserted, inside it.  I tried it, as the 'baits' I cast (or, try to cast) are usually fairly big, with lots of "wind resistance". I live across the street from our "Village Park", and practice my casting there, so, besides getting the "thumb education" I need.........I provide "exercise" for the neighborhood dogs that are usually being "walked in the park' !
      As most have stated....it's NOT just weight...it's wind resistance...and "balance", that you need to try to duplicate.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

David Hall

all great ideas, I wanted to know what you guys use and you have given me some great tips.  I had only recently, (just a few days ago) heard of the tennis ball method.
I remember as a young boy, my father set a wash tub out in the field behind our house for us to practice cast to.  I was using a 1/2' nut tied to my line.  I knocked out my older sisters two front teeth with it. I feel bad about it to this day and didn't want to see my grandchildren doing the same thing.  Fortunately none of them seems to have inherited my wild and reckless hillbilly gene.

handi2

Quote from: David Hall on January 05, 2020, 07:28:56 PM
all great ideas, I wanted to know what you guys use and you have given me some great tips.  I had only recently, (just a few days ago) heard of the tennis ball method.
I remember as a young boy, my father set a wash tub out in the field behind our house for us to practice cast to.  I was using a 1/2' nut tied to my line.  I knocked out my older sisters two front teeth with it. I feel bad about it to this day and didn't want to see my grandchildren doing the same thing.  Fortunately none of them seems to have inherited my wild and reckless hillbilly gene.

That's funny and sad at the same time. My brother knocked out one of my front teeth and i lived with it until 2000. I was in the 5th grade. By adulthood my teeth had grown together showing only a small gap.

As far as casting growing up here we used spinning reels. I still cant throw a casting reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cor

Quote from: oc1 on January 05, 2020, 04:46:01 AM
Ever notice how you can cast a purpose made casting plug better than anything else you own?  Is it a density thing?
-steve
Many small things have an impact on your cast, as in the shape and size of the casting weight, or the distribution of the weight inside the plug.   If it tumbles in the air it has a significant slowing effect.

Most people won't really notice.
Cornelis

steelfish

Quote from: Crow on January 05, 2020, 01:37:29 PM
     A year , or so, ago....somebody suggested a tennis ball....split, so a sinker could be inserted, inside it. 

I've been using that method of the tennis ball but only for strong surf casting practice where you cast pretty strong hoping to reach 100yds or more, so snap line with a 6oz weight at 50mph or more could be dangerous.

for less weight than 5oz -8oz or so, for example 1.5oz , 2oz, 3oz, etc you can use old golf balls, you just screw a "screw eye" of different sizes to add more weight, same deal with racketball balls, and also "empty" tennis balls with no weight added inside.
I used to practice a lot for surf casting with casting reels so, I had many different "setups" with those different balls until felt that I was ready to cast on a beach or a boat.

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: Crow on January 05, 2020, 01:37:29 PM

As most have stated....it's NOT just weight...it's wind resistance...and "balance", that you need to try to duplicate.

Yup! Tossing stuff that zips through the air like a dart is of little benefit to most. Maybe a good place for a fella just starting on conventional reels to begin

I have 10" Paddle tail swimbaits that duplicate the flight of the bigger live baits i use during a cast... Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

One of the biggest advantages of a tennis ball (or smaller/larger) is that it won't plug into the ground. A simple lead weight will easily plug into soft ground. We've got plenty of that at the moment - thanks to Dennis and Ciara :(