Daiwa 703A, a look inside

Started by festus, January 05, 2020, 09:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

It's difficult for me to pass up a good deal on Daiwas, especially two fully functioning specimens at 2 for $5 plus shipping.  These were probably sold in the 1970s, pretty sure I saw an old ad in an online Field & Stream magazine a while back.  Everything worked when they arrived, bail release was very strong, anti-reverse was ok, so were the drags.  The following service is the reel on the left.

The handle may be removed by turning clockwise.

Removing the drag knob.

Removing the spool.

As I mentioned earlier, the bail was working exceptionally well, however it's so dirty, the whole assembly needs taken apart and cleaned.  A look at the arm lever and opposite side.

Removing the body cover screws.

Removing the body cover.

A look at the drive gear and anti-reverse.  This reel had been serviced in the past, but the gears were dry.  Wouldn't doubt whoever worked on it last used Vaseline.

The drive gear didn't want to come out, so I gave the shaft a good soaking in Liquid Wrench.

A look inside.  There should be a pin that needs removed under all that grease so I can detach the oscillating slider from the axle.

Found the pin after a little swabbing with a Q-Tip.

Removing the axle.

Removing the oscillating slider.

It was nasty underneath all those parts that were removed.  Can't really determine if that yellowing was caused by being submerged in some old muddy water, sand, or maybe salt water.

There's more of the same grime inside the rotor. Whatever it is didn't cause much of a problem, but definitely needs cleaned out.  The rotor nut is 12mm and has regular right hand threads.

Removing rotor nut washer.

Removing the rotor.

The bail trip stud is built onto the main body.  No ball bearings here.

Removing pinion and pinion washer.

Time to take apart all the bail components.  We'll begin by removing the arm lever screw.

The bail nut can be removed with a 5mm socket.

Removing bail holder screw.

Now I see why the bail return was so crisp, the bail spring is very sturdy and has 5 coils.

Removing bail kick lever components, screw, spring, and lever.

That stubborn drive gear shaft loosened up and with the help of some prying with two wide, short flat screwdrivers came out without much fuss.

The inside of the body cover wasn't as dirty as I expected.  Was able to get it clean without removing the anti-reverse components.

The reels have 38 parts listed in the schematic.  Everything except the mentioned a/r was disassembled and cleaned.  Gears were given a lacquer thinner bath.

A look at the 3 piece drag assembly.  The washer in the middle is made of leather.

A look at the bottom of the spool with the spool click claw and retainer.

Everything is clean.

Took one of Midway Tommy's tips---began resassembly with the bail parts before my hands got greasy.  Reattaching bail kick lever and spring.

Looking much better inside there now.

Getting the bail spring reinstalled along with the arm lever and screw was tricky, but it's done.

Completed bail overhaul.

Lubing the drive gear with Superlube grease and reinstalling.

Reinstalling the pinion gear.

Reattaching rotor.

Reinserting axle.

Lubing the tracks for the oscillating slider.

Axle is reattached to the slider with the pin, almost finished.

Reattaching body cover and fastening her up.

Reattaching handle by screwing on counterclockwise.

Oiling the leather washer.

Reattaching the spool....

....and drag knob.

Finished!

These are sturdily built reels, at least on the outside.  Spool is aluminum, only plastic to speak of is the handle knob and drag knob.  I've yet to see what I would consider a poorly built Daiwa.  These weigh 12 oz without line.  There is also a Daiwa 403, not much difference I can tell except the plain old 403 is bronze in color and the schematic says it has a one piece spool. The schematic for the bronze 403 says it has capacity of 300 yds of 8 lb mono.  Considering the weight of the reel, I think 10 lb mono would be better.

festus

Schematics

Crow

Great break down, Festus...as usual !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester. 403A was circa 1980. Would have more than likely been at the end of their non-skirted production.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)