Hook ID

Started by Keta, January 06, 2020, 01:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

What are these hooks?  I am cleaning my shop and found these but do not remember where I got them or what they are.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

They look like Quick Rig hooks.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Keta

OMJ, I use the ringed Owner Gorillas and these are not them.  The eye is stamped and they would be 10X compared to the Owner Gorilla hooks.  I will post a photo of one next to a Owner later.

Mark, I have some of these Quick Rig hooks and these are not the same.  I will post a photo of one of the QR hooks  next to a Owner Gorilla and one of the mystery hooks when I post.  
https://www.quickrig.com/?product=charlie-brown-circle-hooks

https://www.quickrig.com/?product=charlie-brown-circle-hooks

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

I said Quick Rig due to the stamped eye but I don't know that they make any J's shaped like that.

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on January 06, 2020, 03:16:39 PM
I said Quick Rig due to the stamped eye but I don't know that they make any J's shaped like that.

That was my first thought too.

Mark Twain

Tightlines667

We refer to them as 3.6mm Tuna Hooks.   They are heavy duty commercial hooks used for longlining.  OPI has 2 sizes, from 2 sources under their name...

OPI ring hooks (japan)
opi00023 3.6 mm 50/box

OPI ring hooks (korea)
opi00446 3.4 mm 100/box
opi00447 3.6 mm 100/box

BTW these are not considered circle hooks and as such are no longer a legal gear type in our fisheries.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

OPI ring hooks it is!

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines667 on January 06, 2020, 04:06:15 PM
We refer to them as 3.6mm Tuna Hooks.   They are heavy duty commercial hooks used for longlining.  OPI has 2 sizes, from 2 sources under their name...

OPI ring hooks (japan)
opi00023 3.6 mm 50/box

OPI ring hooks (korea)
opi00446 3.4 mm 100/box
opi00447 3.6 mm 100/box

BTW these are not considered circle hooks and as such are no longer a legal gear type in our fisheries.

John

Thank you.

I have 8-10 of them in 2 sizes and have no clue where I got them.   They look like they would work like a C hook.  I also found some 11/0 and 12/0 Rody Hays hooks but they were given to me by Jerry Brown, these are over $10 each.

Mark Twain

whalebreath

There was once a website that sold terminal tackle out of Great Britain that sold similar I think it may have had 'tech' in the name somewhere.

edit
Found the site but not the hooks sad to say.

http://www.leadertec.com/store/

UKChris1

Definitely tuna longline hooks as stated above. Very thick in the wire and rarely used for rod and line fishing. Many manufacturers in the far East and many slightly different patterns available - the differences are small to our eyes but important to the guys that use tens of thousands of them at a time.

I have used them on blue shark in the UK as a bit of an experiment. They work well - like a circle hook - but you do need to file away most of the barb or crush it to get easy removal.

Maxed Out

thanks for bringing up this subject Lee

I have my own inquiry as to these strange hooks that don't have an eye, but just a flattened end
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Keta

I have some similar hooks but with a eye.   From the box a guess would be pre C hook longline halibut hooks.

Mark Twain

Tightlines667

I too believe the eyeless hooks were made for Ganjon/basket bottom longline gear.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gfish

Yeah. Looks like it. They gaff the fish as the longline is wenched aboard, then tear the fish/hook off the vertical line. Fast and easy with the right knot.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!