Ultrasonic Cleaner Solutions

Started by LAHossman, January 06, 2020, 09:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAHossman

I don't know how many of you use ultrasonic cleaners for reel cleaning. I do mostly for internal parts, but would like to do frames.
I have heard though not to use them on anodized frames like Internationals, Tiagras, Calucuttas....etc. Do any of you use
Ultrasonic cleaners on anodized frames and, if so, what type of cleaners do you use?

alantani

i used to use one, but gave up.  it was too slow......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: LAHossman on January 06, 2020, 09:24:39 PM
I don't know how many of you use ultrasonic cleaners for reel cleaning. I do mostly for internal parts, but would like to do frames.
I have heard though not to use them on anodized frames like Internationals, Tiagras, Calucuttas....etc. Do any of you use
Ultrasonic cleaners on anodized frames and, if so, what type of cleaners do you use?

Lahossman, go to the search box and type in the word "ultrasonic".  You will see a load of posts for using ultrasonic cleaners.  If your questions are not answered after reading those posts, come back and ask again.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelhead_killer

I use simple green and water solution in my UC main tank.  Diluted is best for the surfaces you mentioned.  I place a small jar (Kerr) wide mouth pint with straight simple green for internal parts and place it in the tank with all the large frame pieces in main tank.  I get good results and you can easily change out the solution with the heavy grease and grime from the pint jar when it get too bad.  Nothing gets more than 20 minutes in the UC.  I even run the bearings in a small SS cup with a lighter fluid for 20-30 seconds hand held and that does a great job.  Probably burn my house down someday doing it but up to this point it has been just fine.  No closed containers...

Andy
><)))">

oc1

I think you have to worry more about the fluid used (soap, acetone, etc) than the ultrasonic vibrations.  I put my anodized aluminum in a plastic bag with naphtha and then put the plastic bag in the ultrasonic machine with water in the tank.  It's too expensive to fill the whole tank with naphtha.
-steve

philaroman

Quote from: steelhead_killer on January 06, 2020, 11:10:28 PM
I use simple green and water solution in my UC main tank.  Diluted is best for the surfaces you mentioned.  I place a small jar (Kerr) wide mouth pint with straight simple green for internal parts and place it in the tank with all the large frame pieces in main tank.  I get good results and you can easily change out the solution with the heavy grease and grime from the pint jar when it get too bad.  Nothing gets more than 20 minutes in the UC.  I even run the bearings in a small SS cup with a lighter fluid for 20-30 seconds hand held and that does a great job.  Probably burn my house down someday doing it but up to this point it has been just fine.  No closed containers...

Andy

hope you're not smoking & grinding a magnesium frame, at the same time  :o :o :o

steelhead_killer

:o. No open flames

Quote from: philaroman on January 06, 2020, 11:44:26 PM
Quote from: steelhead_killer on January 06, 2020, 11:10:28 PM
I use simple green and water solution in my UC main tank.  Diluted is best for the surfaces you mentioned.  I place a small jar (Kerr) wide mouth pint with straight simple green for internal parts and place it in the tank with all the large frame pieces in main tank.  I get good results and you can easily change out the solution with the heavy grease and grime from the pint jar when it get too bad.  Nothing gets more than 20 minutes in the UC.  I even run the bearings in a small SS cup with a lighter fluid for 20-30 seconds hand held and that does a great job.  Probably burn my house down someday doing it but up to this point it has been just fine.  No closed containers...

Andy

hope you're not smoking & grinding a magnesium frame, at the same time  :o :o :o
><)))">

Donnyboat

I think Fred Oakes was saying, he uses paint thinner in his, & he can areel in about 10 to 12 minutes, does about a dozen reels before he has to place a new lot of thinners in it, as Dominic said, there is plenty about it on this forum already, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat