Smallest Baitcasters with level winds, clickers and star drags

Started by festus, January 10, 2020, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I don't know anything about the Abu baitcasters smaller than the 4600 other than they are very expensive.  Ditto with the Penn Levelmatics.

What I'm looking for is a round baitcaster that will hold about 100 yds. monofilament in the 8-10 lb range with a clicker, levelwind, and star drag. This reel will be used in smaller rivers and creeks for bullheads, redhorse suckers, stonerollers, and other small bottomfeeders. The reel will be mounted on a 5' ML Eagle Claw spincasting rod and secured in a spiral type rod holder with the spool disengaged with clicker on.

There is a Ming Yang CL30 that would be perfect for this application.  $40 shipped.  Weight: under 8 oz. I've heard good and bad about the Ming Yangs in the larger sizes but haven't heard of anybody using this small one.  For light applications I plan on using, I think it would do the job.

Anyway, can anyone suggest another small reel of this size?

mo65

I don't have any experience with the Ming Yang reels Chester...but I do know those Kastking Rovers are fine reels for the money...only about 5 bucks more. I'm not sure if it's as small as you want though.

https://www.kastking.com/kastking-rover-round-baitcasting-reel_p0135.html
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on January 10, 2020, 06:49:03 PM
   I don't have any experience with the Ming Yang reels Chester...but I do know those Kastking Rovers are fine reels for the money...only about 5 bucks more. I'm not sure if it's as small as you want though.

https://www.kastking.com/kastking-rover-round-baitcasting-reel_p0135.html
Thanks Mo, I already checked Kastking out last night.  Their smallest is the 40 size which weighs in at 11.6 oz.

Ming Yang makes some even smaller baitcasters, the CL25 and the CL20. The CL20 only weighs a fraction over 4 ounces.  It and the CL25 would be perfect size, but they don't have baitclickers. 

These small reels would be perfect for teaching my youngest granddaughter, my great grandson, and my grandnephew baitcasters, clickers, rod holders, and catfishing to their mini-scale.  There is creek on the property where I used to live full of bullheads, bream, suckers, and chubs.  My nephew has been living there for about a year.

philaroman

give Tica Kokanee a look -- several models

Tica has good bargains, usually; Chinese w/ no middleman & EXC C/S

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Quote from: philaroman on January 10, 2020, 08:04:19 PM
give Tica Kokanee a look -- several models

Tica has good bargains, usually; Chinese w/ no middleman & EXC C/S
I checked the Tika Kokanee and several other of their reels, but they're larger than what I'm looking for.
The Kokanee weighs 10.2 oz and has twice the line capacity of what I need.  I have a couple of Abu 5000B that have bait clickers and weigh 11.0 oz.  I also have three or four Abu 4600.  They weigh 9.6 oz.  In the past I've taken the side plate from an Abu 6000B with the clicker and switched it to the Abu 4600.  It works very well, but I need something just a bit lighter because these kids are only 5 and 6 years old.  Plus I like the idea of a micro-baitcaster.   ;D

Quote from: Gfish on January 10, 2020, 08:14:55 PM
Price limit?
Probably about 100 bucks if I can find anything small enough.  Lookin' like the Ming Yang is the best candidate.

steelfish

Quote from: festus on January 10, 2020, 08:50:44 PM
........ Plus I like the idea of a micro-baitcaster.   ;D

I cannot picture the size of that Ming Yang reel, in my understanding you still dont have that right, right?
I would like to see a pic of it along an abu 4600 ot 5500.

I do have a penn levelwing and its really lot smaller than an abu round reel, I dont know if that ming yang reels is comparable in size.

===============

why dont you get a cheap low profile reel with cast control (better for the kids) and instead of a clicker use those Bells on the tip of the rod as bit alarm?

found this on fleabay

Pflueger Echelon Low Profile Baitcast Reel 6 Bearings 6.4:1 Ratio - RH Retrieve
Condition:New
Quantity:
4 available / 1 sold
Price:US $39.95
The Baja Guy

festus

Quote from: steelfish on January 10, 2020, 09:39:50 PM
Quote from: festus on January 10, 2020, 08:50:44 PM
........ Plus I like the idea of a micro-baitcaster.   ;D

I cannot picture the size of that Ming Yang reel, in my understanding you still dont have that right, right?
I would like to see a pic of it along an abu 4600 ot 5500.

I do have a penn levelwing and its really lot smaller than an abu round reel, I dont know if that ming yang reels is comparable in size.

===============

why dont you get a cheap low profile reel with cast control (better for the kids) and instead of a clicker use those Bells on the tip of the rod as bit alarm?

found this on fleabay

Pflueger Echelon Low Profile Baitcast Reel 6 Bearings 6.4:1 Ratio - RH Retrieve
Condition:New
Quantity:
4 available / 1 sold
Price:US $39.95

The sideplates on the Ming Yang 30CL are 2" diameter.  Width of the reel from the outside of sideplate to sideplate is a little more than 2".  Tiny little reel.  After finding maybe the world's smallest spinning reel (Daiwa 500C), I'm out to find the world's smallest baitcaster with a clicker and levelwind.  Looks like the Ming Yang is the leading candidate. The Ming Yang CL25 has a levelwind, but no clicker.  The tiny Ming Yang CL20 weighs only 4 oz, but has no level wind.

philaroman

there's tons of tiny Japan vintage, if that's of any interest...  not sure if they're all knuckle-busters

steelfish

Quote from: festus on January 10, 2020, 10:01:46 PM
After finding maybe the world's smallest spinning reel (Daiwa 500C), I'm out to find the world's smallest baitcaster with a clicker and levelwind. 

thats sounds like a nice goal, so go for it.
when you get it, please post pics along others "well-known" brands reels
The Baja Guy

philaroman

Quote from: steelfish on January 10, 2020, 11:37:28 PM
After finding maybe the world's smallest spinning reel (Daiwa 500C), I'm out to find the world's smallest baitcaster with a clicker and levelwind.

Daiwa Mini Coronet (sp?)...  I think it's on here, maybe Fred...  thumb-size

the regular Coronet is already a mini, like Shimano Demi & Olympic Midget/Midge(?)

festus

Quote from: philaroman on January 10, 2020, 11:44:35 PM
Quote from: steelfish on January 10, 2020, 11:37:28 PM

Daiwa Mini Coronet (sp?)...  I think it's on here, maybe Fred...  thumb-size

the regular Coronet is already a mini, like Shimano Demi & Olympic Midget/Midge(?)
I checked that one out, but it's too small.

Here's the dimensions of the Ming Yang.

oc1

If that's smaller than a Ryobi V-Mag 3 then I'm getting one.  Can't find the V-Mag size right now but will measure one tomorrow.  V-Mag is not round and doesn't have a clicker though.  I believe the Demi and Coronet do not have free spool or star drag, but they have a clicker.  They are both a bit "tinny".
-steve

oc1

V-Mag 3 is somewhat smaller.  1.75" high, 2" wide, 2.25" long.  I'm getting one of those things anyway.
-steve

correction:  The Shimano Demi 3 does have a free spool clutch.  The Coronets do not.