Mitchell Wedding Cake Reel

Started by Smols, January 12, 2020, 04:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

Saw this on the bay. Anyone know the story on these reels?

Smols

Midway Tommy

Tournament casting spool. A few companies provided them to their casting teams. Some of the tiered tournament spools were custom made, many by Bill Burke. Calin Moga has a huge collection of tournament spinning reels.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Ruffy

I'm lost. How does that do anything? Or do they have an adjustable, modified pick up to spool the different 'levels'?

Cheers,
Andrew

Smols

Here is a picture of what appears to be a modified pickup for this two tiered spool. I can't wrap my head around the concept, however. What is the benefit of the tiered spool with multiple line pickups for tournament casting?

Smols

Swami805

The friction from casting a spinner is caused by the spool lip, the more line that comes off the more friction from the lip as the line gets lower on the spool. I knew a guy who brought one fishing on a pier,Casts far but pretty worthless really for fighting a fish , it was just designed for distance casting.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Smols

Thanks for the link to your discussion about these tiered spools, Tommy. Very interesting about the distance casting tournament set ups and the specialized reels that are used. I now understand the purpose and functionality of spool and the multiple pick up arm. I see that the wedding cake reel sold for over $1200 U.S. on the Bay.