glenn fukumoto passed away last night.....

Started by alantani, January 15, 2020, 03:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

a good friend, well known in the local fishing community.  if anyone here has pics, please post them.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bhale1

sorry to hear that Boss....condolences to friends and family!
Brett

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Zimbass

Sorry to hear that Alan. Sad when we lose friends.

Condolences to friends and family.

MHDSRIP.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Alto Mare

My condolences to the family and to everyone that knew him. May he RIP!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Swami805

Sorry to hear about your friend Alan, condolences to his family and friends
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Big Tim

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Swami805 on January 15, 2020, 02:56:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend Alan, condolences to his family and friends

So sorry that you lost your friend Alan.  I only fished and did business with Glenn a few times but he was a true gentleman and a pleasure to know.  He was a pillar of our Central Coast fishing community, and he will be missed.

Shark Hunter

Rest in Peace Glenn.
My Deepest Sympathies and Condolences to Friends and Family.
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Alan please pass my condolences to his family.

alantani

i'm not completely sure of the timelines, but this all should be close.  

glenn's story begins as a local kid who just loved fishing. he started out working at hank's rod and reel repair in san jose's old japantown back in the 70's, fixing reels and repairing rods.  then he got involved with the boss's daughter, ellen, but that didn't last.  glenn married someone else and had two kids, then ellen married someone else and had one kid.  i first met him at a gun and tackle shop called sportsmen's supply in a nearby town called campbell.  that's where bryan young lives now.  then he moved over to take the job as manager of the local fisherman's warehouse, which was just a mile from my house.  i'd drop into the shop several times a week.  glenn was the one that taught me the basics of rigging.  he was one of the few guys that could tie a bimini and an albright to connect braid to mono.  that's where i learned.  and as i learned more about reel repair, he twisted my arm into having reel repair seminars at the shop.  we'd be there all day, sometimes all weekend.  it was a great place to just hang out.

he was having trouble on the home front and eventually got divorced from his wife, then got fired from fisherman's warehouse after an altercation with an idiot employee.  after he got fired, i was so angry at the warehouse that i stopped doing seminars and it was probably a year before i stepped foot in the shop again. glenn eventually took a job across the bay in oakland at the outdoor pro shop.  i went in to see him a couple of times, but it was way too far to drive.  after the shop in oakland closed, he was able to reconnect with ellen who was now also divorced.  he moved down to the morro bay area to live with ellen, got a job at morro bay landing and the two of them got married.  

while working at morro bay, his health started to deteriorate.  the last few years that i saw him, he always had an oxygen tank with him.  his doctors went as far as a lung biopsy to try get him a diagnosis.  it turned out to be idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, the same disease that killed his mother.  glenn had all the risk factors - male, over 50, long smoking history, and a genetic history.  on november 13th, two months ago, he was admitted to the icu at stanford hospital to await a lung transplant.  they never did find a donor and passed away last week.  i was able to see him a few days before, but he was heavily sedated and paralyzed, on oxygen and ecmo.  ellen had basically been living in the icu for all that time as well, only rarely leaving his side.  

the stuff i learned from him?  an old school bimini and albright, a uni knot, perfection loop, a 7+7 double bumper, a dropper loop knot, the right way to tie a palomar, and the importance of loading braid under enough pressure.  this was all before the internet really took off.  now you can go on line and look these up.  back then, we learned from each other.  i still look at these knots as the fishing equivalent of being able to tie your own shoes, and he taught me.  just a really great guy.  he will be sorely missed.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marc Fong

Sorry for your loss Alan. Your friend left you with many gifts, including the gift of a meaningful and rich relationship, out of which you have been able to pay it forward. Glenn's legacy continues.

jlezama

Sorry for your loss Alan, he will be missed
Juan

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal