The Heddon 227

Started by mo65, January 15, 2020, 07:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

You see a lot of Heddon "greenies" around, but these brown/gold Heddons seem to all be in hiding. This one is a big reel...the biggest Heddon I have. It's the same size as a Quick 270 or Zebco XB95. Not as solid a fisher as those two reels...but a decent B-Grade piece.
   Popping off the side plate I see a few good points, the out front AR system and the brass drive shaft bushing, indicated by the yellow arrows. That plastic oscillation block makes me wince.

And just as sure as a day is long...that plastic part is cracked! At least the drive gear shaft is steel, and the bearing is all metal. Plaster aside, this is a killer design, with only about 10 parts inside the body.

The oscillation block is only cracked on one side. I'm going to drop the anal retentive card and say "it is what it is". It will be fine for the shelf. ;)

This reel has a huge aluminum spool, a leather 3-stack drag, and a hefty steel spool shaft. The drag click ratchet is even soldered onto the shaft. This is the heaviest built "non-sleeve" spool shaft I've seen. The only problem is the missing click spring...which should be in the red circled area...but I have an idea.

Tearing apart a spent lighter provided my spring. ;D

Another point of interest is the pinion/AR ratchet. It has an odd fitment...seems like a simple keyed ratchet would have sufficed. That might have even left enough room in the budget for a dang metal oscillation block! ::)

It seems odd seeing these colors on a Heddon, but I do like the difference. The seller said the handle "may not be correct". In eBay speak that means "I slapped on the first one I found". It looks like a Dam Quick handle...and in my book...that's nothing but an upgrade.

Ready to button up! That no-nonsense build equals very little resistance when turning the handle. The handle spins like a hundred dollar ceramic bearing...the most free turning spinning reel I own. I can't stop spinning it! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Nice reel, Mike! Step on the gas and file out an oscillation block in aluminum. I need to know how long it takes LOL.

festus

Now I remember seeing that same reel on ebay.  I've bought from the same seller in the past, and have a Shakespeare spinner from them that should arrive tomorrow.

Too bad about the oscillation block.  The only plastic blocks I've encountered have been in Mitchell spinners but haven't found a broken one yet.

Nice reel, sorta takes on characteristics of the front a/r assemblies of the 280 series and the simple oscillation design of most older Heddons.

My heaviest spinner to date has been the Heddon 242--weighs a good quarter pound more than the big DAM Quicks and Mitchells.

Mo, I stole your pic and posted it in the Heddon compilation thread.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=29585.0

mo65

Quote from: festus on January 15, 2020, 08:15:53 PM
Now I remember seeing that same reel on ebay. 

One of these models sold a while back Chester, but it brought a bigger price. I've been watching for another to come along. I wonder how many other brown/gold models there were? I can't seem to find any info for these.

Quote from: festus on January 15, 2020, 08:15:53 PM
Mo, I'm going to steal your pic eventually and post it in the Heddon compilation thread.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=29585.0

Sure thing buddy...good call.

Midway Tommy

The brown/gold reels were from the mid '70s, and Heddon's last spinning reels. That came after Victor Comptometers Corporation consolidated Daisy and Heddon and three other companies under the Victor Comptometers Corp. Recreation Group. In '77 Heddon was sold to Walter Kidde. There were lots of changes regarding Heddon between '78 & '83 when the7 eventually became part of Pradco.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Crow

Good job on the clean-up, Mo !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

CincyDavid

I just won a grubby-looking 227 on the big auction site.  I'll open it up when it arrives and see what I have.  I paid $3.50 plus shipping so no great loss if it turns out to be a dud.

Gfish

A nice "B" spinner. I like the AR set-up. That oscillation block though... what's a good source for an aluminum block that can be worked into one? Kinna like getting a good build quality vehicle and then finding-out that it's got a timing belt instead of a chain.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

Quote from: mo65 on January 15, 2020, 07:11:54 PMTearing apart a spent lighter provided my spring. ;D
Resourceful!  Looks like a sailfisher spring could work as well.  I'm never throwing away another lighter.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

nelz

Since the oscillation block is still in one piece, you could make a mold from it and pour yourself a metal one. :D

Catching Nemo

Quote from: Gfish on January 16, 2023, 02:27:46 PMA nice "B" spinner. I like the AR set-up. That oscillation block though... what's a good source for an aluminum block that can be worked into one? Kinna like getting a good build quality vehicle and then finding-out that it's got a timing belt instead of a chain.

I've used old aluminum heat sinks in the past for various diy projects needing a chunk of aluminum

CincyDavid

My auction 227 just showed up...big grubby looking thing, spins like a top though, give the handle a spin and it goes almost 4 rotations before it stops. The inside looked a whole lot better than the outside.  One big glop of black grease, the rest was squeaky clean.

mo65

Nice buy CincyDavid...the 227 is a sweet reel...one of those ones everybody overlooked. A few small improvements on the parts and it would have been a very reliable fisher. Even as is it does a good job. 8)

Gfish

Yup. A couple of spare oscillation blocks and yer set!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

CincyDavid

Quote from: Gfish on January 25, 2023, 09:12:01 PMYup. A couple of spare oscillation blocks and yer set!
Yeah, talk about a fatal flaw. I'm gonna clean it out, lube it and just fish it till the block breaks, not like it's a valuable curio or something.