Trolling Rods from the 1940's?

Started by steelhead_killer, January 15, 2020, 07:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Disclaimer: I know nothing about vintage rods.

Here is my question:  I have a early 40's Penn 10/0 that I want to match to a suitable rod from that era.  Randy mentioned that in the early 40's was before fiberglass and they were most likely bamboo or Hickory.  That's cool.  Where can I find them?  Ebay really no help, even net searched items gave no real returns.  So after conferring with Ted I am throwing it out to the group for any feedback you may have on this issue.

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

1badf350

You would probably be looking at a tycoon tackle Bimini king, Royal Hickory or HRH.  Montague made some double built big game rods as well. John Taylor can tell you more than me but what you're looking for is rare and hard to find. They are disappearing into private collections
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

I've seen a few come by at the auction but do not look for them any more.  If it's affordable then it probably needs to be rebuilt and the wood will have lost much of its strength so it cannot be fished.

Besides hickory and double-built split cane, they used other hardwoods and Calcutta whole cane.  Whole cane was often the poor man's option but I believe there is a photo of Zane Grey with a whole cane rod too..

There's a place in Huntington Beach that sells Calcutta and other types of bamboo.  Pick up a piece of cane, some old guides, silk thread, cotton cord and make your own.  You could make a hickory or bethabara hardwood rod from scratch too.  If you use period appropriate materials and techniques then it's a period appropriate rod.

-steve

Gfish

If you do buy already made one from the early 40's or so, without seeing it in person, recommend that you make certain there're no broken parts, such as guide braces. Probably pretty difficult to match up a replacement part with existing parts.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

54bullseye

Honestly the thought of fishing some of the nice old rods like Tycoon or Montague would worry me !!! Rods from the 1940s have had 70 or 80 years to dry out and both wood and especially thread on wraps become very brittle even shipping them in PVC tubes worries me!!! It is one thing if you just want a matching rod to hang up with your 10/0 but if you plan on fishing it I would go fiberglass but the age works on them as well. Good luck in your search and expect to pay up for original rods they don't go cheap.       John Taylor

Benni3

I have seen them pop up on ebay,,,,,, :D but one time when I was very young a captain but a new international on a old rod and said this is my lucky rod,,,the first fish that hit it broke it and the reel was gone,,,, >:( he was really mad,,,,,, ;D

steelhead_killer

Now that made me chuckle!

Thanks for the feedback on the rods everyone.  I should have mentioned that it will never be used, just a wall hanger.  Given my reel is in heavily used condition a new rod would probably look funny or who knows.  I guess rods just don't age well like reels!  Just looked up a Tycoon Tackle rod...They must be beautiful for those prices.

Quote from: Benni3 on January 16, 2020, 12:53:46 AM
I have seen them pop up on ebay,,,,,, :D but one time when I was very young a captain but a new international on a old rod and said this is my lucky rod,,,the first fish that hit it broke it and the reel was gone,,,, >:( he was really mad,,,,,, ;D
><)))">

thorhammer

hey Andy- enough of 60-70's vintage stuff around that will still look fine with that reel- Magnaflex, Harnell, without breaking the bank: wooden or aluminum handle, chrome seat like a Varmac and Mildrum guides, etc.

conchydong

Andy, A friend of mine may have a Fin Nor Bimini King (bamboo or hickory I think) without the butt. His father passed away recently and  had a lot of vintage tackle left in the estate. I may assist him in selling some of it. I will try to get pictures and a cost estimate if you are interested.

Scott

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Cuttyhunker

Besides ebay check Craigslist, Offerup, or Letgo for the old stuff locally, lots of folks are cleaning out Grandpa's sheds, interesting stuff pops up.
Doomed from childhood

mikeysm

Check with Randy he should have something.

Mike