Resurrecting an old Finessa 280

Started by Beachmaster, January 19, 2020, 10:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Good work!  Now I remember a couple differences between the 280/285 and the 330.  The 330 has one of those stubborn snap rings on the pinion bearing.  Also there are less screws in the housing.

Looking forward to reassembly.

Midway Tommy

Good job. When the bearing is stuck on the pinion I always use a small oak block as a buffer between the pinion and my hammer. The last thing I want to do is in any way mar those threads.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Beachmaster

So, I went ahead and scrubbed after soaking for about 5 hours in Dollar Stores brand of Simple Green.  And here is what all the internals look like now and the bail assembly.  Ready for grease and reassembly.  Except for, I lost the dang ratchet spring for the anti-reverse!  Fred, can you send me a spring that slides onto the shaft for that ratcheting anti-reverse along with a couple of those black dots for the bail arm?!  If you look close in the top picture you can tell that there is some rust all ready starting to form on the worm gear...so the bottom pic is after I used 0000 steel wool on all of those parts and burnished the inside of the worm gear.  I then put a light coat of Rem Oil on everything in the pic.  Edit:  Found the spring on my kitchen floor ::)

foakes

Will do on the spring & caps --

Also, a hint -- good to do another rinse of any parts that steel wool were used on -- and allowed to dry before lubing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Quote from: Beachmaster on January 19, 2020, 11:35:39 PM
Don't forget the Anti-Reverse ratchet/spring assembly.  I used a tiny 5/32" socket to loosen the ratchet pin.  I didn't even need to use a driver, just used my fingers.  The pin will drop from the hole; don't loose the spring! 

Stay tuned for lube and reassembly soon!

I have noticed some of the early 280 reels have a bent ratchet pin that has a round ball head on it. Would be interesting to see how it screws in and what it screws into.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

ClintB

Fantastic!

I've got a few of the 280's now, this will be a great help when I dig onto them.

basto

Hi Beachmaster
You did a great job on that 280. I found the drag on the 280 quite confusing and could not figure why the little one eared washer that sits on the spool shaft has to run on a metal surface of the spool???
One thing I did find to improve this drag is to remove the spool and spool shaft and replace them with a spool shaft from a 285 and a spool from a 285 or 330. They fit right in.
This will improve the 280 by a mile!
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Beachmaster

Quote from: basto on March 16, 2020, 11:15:43 PM
Hi Beachmaster
You did a great job on that 280. I found the drag on the 280 quite confusing and could not figure why the little one eared washer that sits on the spool shaft has to run on a metal surface of the spool???
One thing I did find to improve this drag is to remove the spool and spool shaft and replace them with a spool shaft from a 285 and a spool from a 285 or 330. They fit right in.
This will improve the 280 by a mile!
Greg
Thanks Basto, I will check that out.  I haven't had time to do much; my wife decided to divorce me after 16 1/2 years of marriage.