Shimano TRANX Reel "One Bad #### Reel"

Started by RWS, November 20, 2011, 07:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWS

go to

WOW 40" OF LINE PICKUP WITH A LEVELWIND !!!!!!!!!!!!

kamuwela

redsetta

Hey Kamu, I assume that means you've tried one?
Looks like a cracker bit of gear - Calais-style frame / Curado on steroids...
Any other thoughts/observations on the TranX?
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nessie Hunter

Cant find anything on Google except that video and some people asking about it????

Oh well, The Abu Garcia Toro series was no doubt gonna turn some heads...

Like to see the specs on it.  The Toro 60 is a 400 size spool with maybe 18Lb of drag (even though they say 22#)..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

kamuwela

sorry, i loved the reel and video. first one ive seen tho

redsetta

Cheers Kamu. I agree - first impression looks good.

Dominick

The video does make the reel seem like the best thing since Wonder Bread, I just can't get my mind around those low slung reels.  I don't like their looks.  Maybe it's my age, but to me a reel looks like a Penn Reel.  That to me a Penn is the Cadillac of reels.  So if Shimano is going to make a super reel, design it to look like a reel.  My opinion.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Those guys would have made a Jigmaster look good, with all that action  :-\. Couldn't find any info on the reel itself.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RWS

The reel is not out till 2012 and Shimano released that video after I ask about the new reel and the rep said he can't say anything just watch the video. The reel comes in 6.6-43" and 4.6-33" gears, 8 bearings, not sure about weight, but I hear it is around 16oz - 17oz.

sinkerswim

Ahhh, seems to have a whole lot of speed. And quite a bit of power. Appears to be a high speed jigger. So what's with the puny handle? They obviously never read Alan's take on handle size. Seems they made a Lamborghini with a bicycle seat.

Alto Mare

Good one sinkerswim ;D. I think they left room for Alan to bring it up a notch...we'll see what he thinks about this reel after he gets his hand on it. He probably already has one :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

esox23

The Musky guys in the North Country (MN, WI, and Canada) are falling all over themselves and slipping on drool in anticipation of this reel.

They are saying it's a game changer...

Biggest issue for us is that we have adapted to the large saltwater trolling reels and jigging reels - the Trinidads, Salists, Avets and such are great the non levelwind takes some getting used to and the no engaging clutch's take a beating with repetitive (500+) casts a day.  So this TranX with it's low-profile design, thumb bar casting. speed and all out cranking power will be a heaven sent change...

I'm guessing the price of this reel will also be responsible for a few or more divorces up in this region also...  LOL

redsetta

I agree Dominick - it's definitely a different style of fishing.
I've only recently started fishing a low-profile (just two trips and 30-odd fish) and still generally use conventionals.
I do enjoy it though.
Coupled with with modern lightweight braid, there's a subtlety and sensitivity that I'd never experienced before.
That said, 'I'll give up my old Penns when they pry them from my cold, dead hands...'  ;)
All the best, Justin

Dominick

Quote from: redsetta on November 21, 2011, 08:14:23 PM
That said, 'I'll give up my old Penns when they pry them from my cold, dead hands...'  ;)
All the best, Justin
Good man... :)
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!