Rod building...

Started by Beachmaster, January 20, 2020, 06:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

What Getbit and several others sell on e-bay are from the same Chinese factory that Rainshadow, Alps, and some other brands come from.  They're no better and no worse. They just keep getting cheaper while the quality remains about the same.  Mediocre.  I love me some Chinese blanks because, at the price, you do not feel compelled to stay with a rod because it cost a fortune.  You can experiment around a bit.
-steve

Cor

Building rods is fun, in fact building all your own tackle and servicing your own reels is very satisfying.

I build a rod in a sort of temporary manner, then fish with it, cast a lot and if need be modify it, usually a bit longer at the back or shorter at the tip or change guide spacing etc.   Only when I am happy with it do I finish it.

Here it cost more then double to build your own rod on a decent blank and to obtain a nice blank is difficult.

Many guys buy a cheap complete rod if the blank feels right and then re build it.   Just because the blanks come from the East does not mean it is always poor quality and I have done that wit good results.
Cornelis

Cor

Quote from: oc1 on January 25, 2020, 04:57:07 AM
What Getbit and several others sell on e-bay are from the same Chinese factory that Rainshadow, Alps, and some other brands come from.  They're no better and no worse. They just keeping cheaper while the quality remains about the same.  Mediocre.  I love me some Chinese blanks because, at the price, you do not feel compelled to stay with a rod because it cost a fortune.  You can experiment around a bit.
-steve

;D ;DI once bought 2 different blanks from a well known USA tackle supplier, the one still had a sticker on in "ROC". ???
Cornelis

droppedit

Welcome to the addicting habit of rod building. I was where you are over 35 years ago, I knew what I wanted and couldn't find it. Be careful! The house will smell like chemicals and there will be bits of thread everywhere in the house and it might be the grounds for divorce. Other than that it is great making your own rods. Definitely not cheaper once you figure into supplies and equipment. There are a few things you'll get on your first build that will be better than store bought are a handle and reel seat that fit you, guides setup to match your reel, action of rod blank and hardware of your choice, plus colors ;) There is tons of information out here on the net and plenty of guides to follow. Go slow with it, practice on your wraps, and keep your hands clean and you will be ahead of the game. Enjoy!!

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Dominick

One day I decided to build my own rods.  I am now on my 7 or 8th rod.  It is great fun and a satisfying hobby.  I bought one of "The Fishing Hobby" hand wrappers.  It really works well.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Dominick on January 25, 2020, 10:12:08 PM
One day I decided to build my own rods.  I am now on my 7 or 8th rod.  It is great fun and a satisfying hobby.  I bought one of "The Fishing Hobby" hand wrappers.  It really works well.  Dominick
I'm glad you are enjoying it!