Knob Question

Started by nelz, January 20, 2020, 08:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Found this nice ProGear handle and want to take it apart for cleaning. There's no corrosion but the screws are super-tight. Do they come off the standard counter clockwise or reverse direction?

Cheers.

David Hall

probably have a drop of lok-tite on the threads and its hard to get heat on them without melting the foam grips.  Im not sure how to go about removing them.
I am certain that somebody here does though, hang tight your answer will be along soon.

Gfish

What manufacturer made that'n? Accurate knobs are only ones I've experienced with clockwise loosening threads.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

Quote from: Gfish on January 20, 2020, 10:53:05 PMWhat manufacturer made that'n? Accurate knobs are only ones I've experienced with clockwise loosening threads.

It's a ProGear handle.

Swami805

I think it's red locktight and can be a real bear to get off. Heat helps and the grip material should be ok if used on the blade side   They're not reversed threads
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

Nelz,  they will break free if you get two good fitting screw drivers with a firm grip to prevent damage.  I swapped out almost all of my PG 540,545 etc handles with the bigger knobs.

Oops forgot, definitely counter clockwise. They will make a small crack noise when they separate.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Maxed Out

I put short blade screwdriver on top, then hold upside down on your workbench and hit that Phillips with impact driver
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

nelz

Sounds like a formula for disaster!  ;D  I sprayed it down real good with some CorrosionX and it spins fine now. Thanks guys.

Maxed Out

Now all that's left to do is upgrade the foam on your knob

nelz

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 22, 2020, 12:13:06 AMNow all that's left to do is upgrade the foam on your knob

Is that foam fatter than the stock?

Maxed Out

Yes, it is much thicker, and a huge improvement from stock knob foam. I can send you replacement foam for your knob if you'd like to upgrade. I have black foam or red.

Ted

Gfish

Cool! "Fat Foam Knobs".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mrwilson99

I just upgraded my foams to my handles.
David

jon_elc

Maxed Out

Sweet !!

By the looks of it, you obviously have a few pg reels in your harem !!