XB65, a look inside

Started by festus, January 22, 2020, 06:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This reel came from an ebay delivery last week with a couple of the larger N series D-A-M Quicks.  I didn't have much expectation from this one, but have been surprised with a couple of ugly duckling Zebco spinners in the past.  Reeling was slow, the anti-reverse and drag worked, bail functioned, but needed cleaned, and the line out clicker on the spool wasn't working. According to the online Zebco page, these reels debuted in either 1971 or 1972, the same time frame I graduated high school.  I copied this information from a 1972 ad:

Medium freshwater/light saltwater reel.  Stainless steel ball bearing smoothness.  Precision, heavy-duty gears.  Diecast aluminum body and cowl with baked on finish.  Stainless bail arm with hard-chromed roller guide.  Fast 4.3:1 gear ratio.  Spring loaded multiple-disc drag system for smooth, positive control.  Selective anti-reverse.  Hard chromed handle folds for compact storage. Corrosion resistant throughout.  Weight: 13.5 oz.  Snap-off spool is anodized aluminum, paraffin-impregnated to resist corrosion.  Holds 170 yds 14 lb test monofilament line.

The rear cover screw is shorter than the front two screws.

No doubt it had been a while since this reel was serviced.

Removing the oscillating slider pin.

Removing the axle that was stubborn to get out.

Removing the 12mm nut that has standard right hand threads.

Removing the bearing holder, pinion gear, and bearing.

Removing drive gear.

A look at the anti-reverse assembly.  No reason to take this piece out because the housing can be cleaned by working around it.

The bail components needed removed and cleaned.

A look at the drag assembly.

Removing bail arm, screw, spring, and other parts.

A look inside the rotor cup and bail trip assembly.

A look at the line out clicker assembly which wasn't functioning. 

After checking out one of Mo's threads on a larger Zebco, it was obvious that someone had installed the spring backwards.  Thanks for the pics, Mo. Here is the spring installed as it should be.

All parts cleaned up.  The entire reel except for the anti-reverse components were taken apart.

Reassembling bail components.

Reassembling drive gear.  Reattaching the bottom section of the handle keeps the parts together.

Reassembling the pinion gear and components.

Reattaching the rotor to the housing.

Reattaching the oscillating slider to the axle.

Almost finished.

I was really surprised how smooth and easy cranking and quiet this reel is after servicing.  Line out clicker is working very well.  If spooled up with some 12-15  lb. test Cajun Red or Viscious mono it'll make a good beater for bank fishermen chasing channel cats, carp, gaspergou, and bait fishing for small stripers.

festus

Schematic

Midway Tommy

Nice look inside, Chester. It's amazing how similarly built a lot of these reels are.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 22, 2020, 06:44:38 PM
Nice look inside, Chester. It's amazing how similarly built a lot of these reels are.
Sure are.  Heddon and other Japanese reels made during the 1960s and 1970s are very much alike, such as the Omori Shakespeares and Pfluegers, Compacs, Diamonds, some of the lower end Daiwas, Zebcos and generics sold by Sears, Montgomery Wards, etc.

Crow

Another great break-down, Festus !  You're getting quite the collection !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: festus on January 22, 2020, 06:33:23 PM
I was really surprised how smooth and easy cranking and quiet this reel is after servicing.  Line out clicker is working very well.  If spooled up with some 12-15  lb. test Cajun Red or Viscious mono it'll make a good beater for bank fishermen chasing channel cats, carp, gaspergou, and bait fishing for small stripers.

I knew by the time I got to the end of this post that you would like this reel...these XB and XBL models are sweet reels. Nice job Chester! Does anybody have an XB 85 to sell or trade?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Nice tutorial as usual Chester, thank you for doing this for us.
Appears to be a very nice reel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

happyhooker

Never tire looking & reading thru the breakdowns on older spinners.  Another good one!

Frank