My three sons.

Started by gstours, January 24, 2020, 04:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

😊😊😊,  here are some of my findings of three handy butane torches. 
  This little flamer is about six bucks, imported, has an adjustable flame 🔥  and very handy when minimal heat is needed.  For instance popping bubbles in a rod finish and or heating the cured rod finish and thread 🧵 when removing a rod guide or many other small heating chore.

gstours

This mid size flamer is a good one for medium heating needs.  It's about 12-15 USD and was purchased at Harbor Frieght. With a lock on trigger and some flame adjustment features it's a pretty good tool.
  This has the btu,s for stainless silver soldering rings, and a fairly large fuel capacity.   Very handy.

gstours

This is quite a bit larger than the others and does everything larger.  It's about 25-30 USD and was purchased from Amazon with free shipping.  This flamer 🔥 has some serious btu output and may not be the best choice for some chores butt🧐 when more heat is required more heat is required.
   I think you could sweat a 1/2 inch copper water fitting with it.  You can hear the velocity of the mixing gases and be impressed.👍
   So which one for you?  It depends.   Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments.😸

oc1

I bought one of these cheap-o Ronson's.  It lasted about five minutes before the valve plunger got stuck.  Just now, I went looking for a picture to show you guys and found they had been recalled.
https://cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/ronson-brand-tech-torch-recalled-by-zippo-due-to-fire-hazard

These days, when you buy a torch the sales clerk will think you are using it to smoke meth.  I wouldn't be surprised if the nanny state came up with some new restrictions on them.

-steve

jon_elc

i have a nice (Weller?) butane soldering iron with changeable tips from way back in the day when I worked as a microscope field service tech.   it also has a torch "tip" / nozzle and a heat shrink tubing tip/ shroud.  Still use it today for house/ car projects.  haven't yet needed to use it to heat up stuck reel screws (like we used to on those old microscopes), when I need to, I'll be ready!