SIC Guide Sets

Started by Midway Tommy, January 31, 2020, 04:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Just an FYI for anyone interested. I have always exclusively used Fuji SIC single foot guides on my spinning rod builds because they're the best you can buy, they're very light and they're really not that much more expensive. Fuji SIC guide sets are getting a little tougher to find these days and I needed  one set for the gaggle of rods I'm building. I saw a really reasonably priced eight guide set of un-named SS SIC guides on daBay and decided to give them a try even though I only needed six. When I got them I could immediately tell they were heavier than my Fujis. A six guide set of the un-named is 29% heavier than the exact same guide size Fuji set. The frames are a little bulkier therefore making them heavier. I went ahead and decided to use them. Because of the thicker feet they are the toughest guides to wrap that I have ever used. No matter how careful I am or slow I go once I transition up onto the foot it seems like about every fourth turn I get a thread lap. It gets really irritating having to back off a couple of turns to get things straightened out. I know I'll sure never buy another set of those things again!  >:(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 31, 2020, 04:06:05 AM
Just an FYI for anyone interested. I have always exclusively used Fuji SIC single foot guides on my spinning rod builds because they're the best you can buy, they're very light and they're really not that much more expensive. Fuji SIC guide sets are getting a little tougher to find these days and I needed  one set for the gaggle of rods I'm building. I saw a really reasonably priced eight guide set of un-named SS SIC guides on daBay and decided to give them a try even though I only needed six. When I got them I could immediately tell they were heavier than my Fujis. A six guide set of the un-named is 29% heavier than the exact same guide size Fuji set. The frames are a little bulkier therefore making them heavier. I went ahead and decided to use them. Because of the thicker feet they are the toughest guides to wrap that I have ever used. No matter how careful I am or slow I go once I transition up onto the foot it seems like about every fourth turn I get a thread lap. It gets really irritating having to back off a couple of turns to get things straightened out. I know I'll sure never buy another set of those things again!  >:(
I use some high frame single foot direct from China guides I bought in sets from the bay (ceramic). I'll agree that they are heavier and the foot is a lot thicker (almost 2x's as thick on what I bought compared to my similar Fuji guides). I haven't had any problems wrapping them personally, but I do spend more time making sure epoxy soaks into the tunnels that are created under the thread where the foot and blank meet. It makes for a larger tunnel there that needs a little more attention in my experience. I will say this, I've used some for a couple of years now and they have held up surprisingly well...including the finish! I didn't know how they would do in use, but so far so good. They actually look nice too. I would buy the ones I got again, but there are definitely some things to be aware of for people looking into them. This was a good thread to start, it may help someone make up their minds!

The Fishing Hobby

Here is the kit I bought. Pretty nice for the price, but not Fuji quality.

Midway Tommy

Yours look different than the ones I purchased. Mine are advertised as "Gun Metal" finish. Size wise they are exactly the same as Fuji SIC Gunsmokes. I'm sure they came from China but were purchased from a USA company. The feet are fairly thick and when I ground the tips the finish flaked off on the bottoms. No big deal but it showed me that their finish may be subject over the long haul.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

I've become really weight conscious about guides.  If you put a heavy guide set on an untra light rod, you can immediately feel the difference.  The weight of the guides increases the swing weight and seems to dampen the snappiness in the tip section.

These aren't SIC, they aren't Fuji, and they aren't even spinning guides.  Pac Bay micro guides from Jann's Netcraft.  They have stainless frames, stainless eye and are dirt cheap.  I've put hundreds of hours on them and never bent, broke or grooved one with braid.
https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/pacific-bay-single-foot-guides/280542.aspx

These have titanium frames and zirconia (whatever that is) inserts.  The insert is a little bulky so, despite the titanium, they seem to weigh the same or a tad more than the stainless ones above:
https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/pacific-bay-single-foot-guides/pac-bay-tfxzg-titanium-singe-foot-rod-guide.aspx

The foot is thin so one swipe with a file will make a sharp edge.
-steve

The Fishing Hobby

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up!

Swami805

I used to use a lot of Fuji guides but switched to Alps now. Quality is right up there with Fuji and easier on the wallet. They have titanium guides too, light as a feather
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Midway Tommy

I'm somewhat with Steve, my main focus is on quality and overall weight.

I'm strictly a freshwater guy so my rods are clearly going to be on the lighter side. My preferences are 5'-6" UL to 6"6" in the Mediums. I only fish graphite, except for a couple of old Narmco & Heddon tobacco glass fly rods. All my graphite blanks are at least 44 million modulus or higher and preferably in the 65mm or higher range. My goal is to have a 6'-0" finished rod weigh in at 3.25 ounces or less. I try to keep every rod I build less than 4.5 oz. regardless of length. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

Good info. here. Been years since I did a rod build from base components, but do haveta replace saltwater damaged guides alla time. Outta all the ones mentioned here any opinions on the most saltwater resistant?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

I have not many years on rod building but soon I learned to stay away from no-name rod guides, I only use fuji, Pacbay and ALPS, within those 3 brands you can find everything you need from dirt cheap guides to really expensive ones.

The Baja Guy

philaroman

is SiC significantly lighter than AlO2 -- the actual ring weight?
I understand it's stronger, harder, smoother, better heat dissipation, etc.
but even really old, pre-Hardloy Fuji AlO2 seems to be OK
after years of abuse from thin, uncoated braid & fine for my needs
not that I don't love me some Fuji SiC (esp., Ti-framed), but when wallet dictates
consider losing the SiC part of the equation, before you lose the Fuji part
I'm sure some NOS Hardloys could be found at bargain prices -- if you want taller frames,
look for "Match Guides"; figure out which alphabet-soup models are single-foot; then look for those specific models

...but look everywhere: I got some dirt-cheap pre-Hardloys ($3-$4 per 5-set) mis-categorized as Ice Rod guides

ReelFishingProblems

I've been using used Fuji SiC guides. I use a q-tip to see if there are any bad areas of the ring. So far everything has been okay. Good price, I've had to buy an extra guide each time to suit my needs, but I've been very happy so far

Jeri

15 years of building rods professionally and commercially. Started with PacBay, but after 2 years we noticed some issues with longevity of their 'stainless steel' guides; the ceramib inserts were fine, but the frames were corroding.

We then investigated Fuji direct from the importers, and have not had a single problem for the last 13 years. Have used their Aluminium Oxide, Alconite and Sic, All of them have performed faultlessly. In my humble opinion they are the best out there, why change?

Buy cheap, buy twice was an adage passed on to me by an old time engineer...................... :)

The Fishing Hobby

Big difference between a professional builder and someone who builds for personal use IMO. I can afford to experiment, a pro has a reputation to uphold.
I always try to make that distinction when I do my videos about rod building where I'm trying something out of the norm.
I personally like trying out new things and new ways of doing things. It is like mad scientist stuff  :D

Newell Nut

The one rule we must adhere to is quality. After that do not let your mind be a closed box. Play. When I was fishing in NV a couple years ago I caught a large number of nice sized trout on part of a broken rod that I extended the butt on to make it 53 inches long. Put some SS twisted wire light guides on it and I could lift a bottle of water with it.  That little rod catches bass in NY now. I build a lot of my personal fresh water sticks from broken blanks that shippers break. I call them Franken rods.

Dwight