Corrosion X

Started by Cadman, February 05, 2020, 10:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman

Do you guys still use this for your reels? If so on what parts of the reel.

RowdyW

It can be used for the entire reel except for the drag washers. But I like Penn blue myself.       Rudy

David Hall

I use it a lot just as a surface coating to deter salt water.

Cor

Cornelis

Eddie K

I mix Corrosion X into Quicksilver 2-4-C marine grease for bearings in my spinning reels.

steelhead_killer

CorrosionX Grease
Cal's
TSI321
ReelX
><)))">

thorhammer

I use it on every bearing  / bushing I touch, on my guns or otherwise around marine stuff, and as a wipe-down after post-use wash (keeping it off line). TS321 and others may be faster but not so's I notice in the fishing i do, and I prefer it to last longer. I use Cals on drags and Penn blue or marine grade  / Teflon grease on inside of reels.

John

oc1

Corrosion X seems pretty thick (high viscosity).  More so than TS321.  But way less expensive.  I now use CorrosionX instead of grease and a light pneumatic nail gun oil instead of reel oil.
-steve

mo65

I use it on bearings too...it seems to last a good long time. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 06, 2020, 02:58:28 PM
CorrosionX Grease
Cal's
TSI321
ReelX
Same here, but I also use TSI 301, Penn blue, Valvoline red and A couple of others i could grab locally when needed.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Hardy Boy

I use it as after shave ................... for that true reel aficionado smell !! Seriously I use it on some bearings (spinners), worm gears, handles etc........... anything I don't grease.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

xjchad

Quote from: Hardy Boy on February 06, 2020, 10:09:51 PM
I use it as after shave .......

You're hardcore Todd!

I have a very small workspace, It's an aluminum case that holds all my tools/supplies that gets opened up on the floor or dining room table when I'm servicing reels.  That said, I don't have room for lots of options for lube.  Based on what I've learned here, what works for me is CorrosionX for light lubrication, Penn blue for heavier needs, and Cal's for drags.  Sometimes I mix the CX and PB, but rarely feel like I need to.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Cadman

Thanks for all of the replies. Does anyone know what the shelf life is? I have a friend that can get me a gallon for $40.00. However I won't use a gallon in a long time.

RowdyW

Just be sure it's marked MARINE grease or oil. In a quantity that large at that price I would be suspicious.

steelfish

Quote from: Hardy Boy on February 06, 2020, 10:09:51 PM
I use it as after shave ................... for that true reel aficionado smell !! Cheers:
Todd

I use Yamaha grease as body and face cream, well that what my wife says...
she say that when I work with lots of reels on the same day I look like a car mechanic with a strong old grease smell (thanks to guys that never serviced their reels and/or use any cheap automotive grease on their reels) and I better get a shower before going to bed like that LOL

back to the topic, I still use corrosion X, black market oil, tsi321 and now using what Fred is using "WRL 191S" OIL, same deal than tsi321 but non-toxic and ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY , I strongly suggest taking a look to this oil, its the "green" option and take care of the planet.

https://www.jaymors.com/
The Baja Guy