Mystery drags

Started by Bill B, February 07, 2020, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I found what I believe to be Smoothie Drags in a 505HS.....are they still worth using? If so run dry or add thin coat of Cals? Thanks for the input...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RowdyW

If they are smoothies then run them dry.

alantani

stick with greased carbon fiber......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jigtosser

Bill,
Yes, they are old smoothies...
Just clean them up and install Dry, don't grease them.
Used them a lot before CF washers came along.
They worked pretty good back in the day...
Greased CF are smoother  ;)
Dan

akfish

Smooth Drag stopped making them for a reason. Any water or oil on them and they get very sticky. Get some carbon fiber drag washers and fish them with Cal's drag grease.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Donnyboat

Good question Bill, you have the reel in pieces, so do it properly Carbon Fibre drag washers grease the with Cals grease or a teflon bace grease, you will get a smooth start up that way, and the CF washers will give you over 20 PSI pressure, and last much much longer, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Can those things be sanded off a-little?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

PacRat

Yep...what Rowdy said. I think smoothies are a step backward. They work good for a minute but when they get bad...they're really bad.

Alto Mare

In the past I have heard that those will outperformed most in extremely cold environment.

I cannot confirm, I haven't tried them, but do have some in one of my bin.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

They used to be the only game in town and worked ok but CF is so much better
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Quote from: RowdyW on February 07, 2020, 03:49:37 PM
Why???? They are outdated.

So they SHOULDN'T be accorrding you guys. CAN they be smoothed out with fine wet/dry sandpaper and reused?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on February 07, 2020, 09:29:05 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on February 07, 2020, 03:49:37 PM
Why???? They are outdated.

So they SHOULDN'T be accorrding you guys. CAN they be smoothed out with fine wet/dry sandpaper and reused?

If we're going to stop using gear that is "outdated"...you guys better ditch those 113h things...HA!!! I tried sanding and cleaning some smoothies for a Jigmaster...and at high settings it chattered like a squirrel that just spotted you under his tree. On the other hand...I cleaned up a set in a light spinning reel and it performed flawlessly! I guess like many items, smoothies have their ups and downs. Maybe we could save them for when the brother-in-law is on the boat. Oil 'em up real good first...;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Thanks guys....for $4 I will replace them and not have to worry.....you think they would work as under the gear washer?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RowdyW

They weren't used for that originaly so I don't think it's a good idea now. Just store them with the other useless parts in the round file.  ::)