SURFMASTER 200 NARROWED

Started by basto, February 09, 2020, 01:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I have always enjoyed fishing my 180 with 20 lb mono, and felt another reel the same or similar would be handy to accompany it on my trips where a light reel that will be doing a lot of casting is needed.
I have read Sal`s praises of the Surfmaster 100 and decided to narrow my 200.
I will be using a plastic spool for the optimum casting performance and might even go down to 30lb braid for this. Of course this all depends on the weight to be cast.
My 100 has a spool and posts from a 185, and a  30 -49 stand.

CHEERS
Greg

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bill B

Bravo!   Good looking reel, really like the mottled spool.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

basto

Hi Bill
Yes, I have a mottled one like that on my 180 also.
I thought this was the cheapest way to get a 100 after seeing the prices they are on the net. About twice the price of a 200 from the ones I have looked at.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Thanks Mo. It turns very smoothly for its age and is going to be a lot of fun to fish.
Greg

milne

Greg that is a nice looking reel, well done.
I have an old 200, has a cracked side plate, but don't have a 100 version, but you can obviously play and mix and match with them by the looks.
Great looking reel....

Col

Crow

Nice job ! That spool is really neat !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

basto

Thanks Col and Crow for your replies. Here is a shot of my 100 and 180 together. You can see I changed my mind about the line for the 100 and decided on 20lb mono, simply because it does so well on the 180.

cheers
Greg

Alto Mare

Very nice Greg, I have new 100 plates, in case you needed one.
With that said, the ones I fish have mixed plates, the head plate could be. 100-150, or200.
The left plate could be from any other reel of the same size, all are the narrow size as the 100.
There are always a couple in my boat, my son enjoyed those as much as I do. They are a pleasure to use.
To me one of the best reel for our type of fishing in the NE.
Small enough for fluke and powerful enough for strippers and blues.. when well equipped.

I load mine with 20lb mono and has been working out great.
I'm glad you like those Greg!... enjoy it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

The Surfmaster 100 is also a good size for shallow PNW bottom fish and I have caught Chinook on mine too.  I spool mine with 65# spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

We talked about these reels 10 years ago, I think you got me hooked on them Lee.
The 65 spectra would be good for guys that need more line, or could just use the 200.
By the way, my rods are next to me and just noticed that the ones I take on the boat, one is a 100 and the other a 150.
The 150 is also a nice size.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I like the 150 better than the 200 width.  I have a badly damaged 200 I need to fix, if the spool is bad it will be a 150 when I am done.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Which spool you needing Lee?  I think I have both a plastic and a metal you can have.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

sharkman

Have you had any problems running straight mono on the plastic spools. I have a narrowed 155 with plastic spool I was thinking of spooling with 20lb mono.

mo65

Quote from: sharkman on March 17, 2020, 04:33:15 PM
Have you had any problems running straight mono on the plastic spools. I have a narrowed 155 with plastic spool I was thinking of spooling with 20lb mono.

I wouldn't risk running mono without some non- stretch backing under it...and even then...watch how tight you spool that mono.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~