Telescopic rods

Started by steelfish, February 15, 2020, 12:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

have any of you used or currently use a telescopic rod?

I remember any telescopic rod I saw 20 or 15 years ago were really cheap made, I bought a travel telescopic rod to my daughter 8 years ago and it was fun, she loved the rod until it broke on a fish when she was lifting and bounching a fish with the rod, I never bought another telescopic rod again, that was 2008 if Im not mistaken.
lately I've been seeing some modern telescopic rods that might be really nice as backpack rods or to carry them on the car everyday, Daiwa, penn, DAM, kastking blackhawk II, Sougayilang, plusinno, etc that you can see videos of reviews and opinions of them on the web, most of them are good.

I also see some guys on the other side of the pond, customizing telescopic rods with good quality guides, like the next one I'll show you.

any one has experience with good quality or best bang for the buck telescopic rods ?

The Baja Guy

smnaguwa

I have been using telescopic rods since I shore fished in Japan 15 years ago. I have 2 Shimano telescopic rods. I have used it for striper fishing on the Sacramento river and have landed 10# stripers. I have also used it shore fishing for bonefishing in Hawaii and like how it is easy to transport. I think Japanese mail order fishing sites have a good selection. Good luck.

Tile

I have been using telescopic rods since I was little ( in fact I grew up around them) , repaired and modified several. They are very convenient for transport and are good for coarse fishing and some lure fishing. I have in my possession a Berkley short bolognese rod that was repaired by me and is in active service.
In solid fiberglass we trust

philaroman

I got a "throw-in" partial (bottom 5 sections) older Yong Sung pole (Korean?)
looks like really nice thin-wall tobacco glass -- good building blocks

Glos

I`m back to those also.
They are getting better and better, way easier to handle.

Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

steelfish

thanks guys for your replies
I have a plusinno telescópic 2.4mts rod a friend gave me because it had a broken tip and a twisted guide by a good hit.
I put a new tip and I was thinking to fix the guide but after seeing those custom jobs on factory telescopic rods I think this rod will have a mayor face lift job, better guides and my personal touch on a custom wrapp.
I did a lift test with the rod and I could lift and bounce my tool box which weight average 9#, so it should be good for spotties sand bass and triggerfish by the shore.

The Baja Guy

Tile

One thing I would suggest is to get rid of the stock guides, put collars on the ends of the segments and below them wind a new set of guides. It will make repairing the rod much fater. Also replacing the tip with a solid one makes a whole lot of difference in regards to durability.

Glos

Generally, yes, even better, buying only such rods from the start. But this one shown above from OP is just a play thing, so no need, or purpose.

philaroman

extra-thin UL solid glass tips are crazy fun to abuse, super-sensitive (VISUALLY, only!), and virtually indestructible

not so good for casting distance/accuracy & you wouldn't want them on a better rod (or much longer than 2') because of the weight

but, for a short-sectioned "knock-around" telescopic that's kinda' heavy, anyway, it's a great idea!!!

especially, if you want to catch baitfish, then re-rig the same rod to use that baitfish

only issue is finding a quality tip-top w/ small-enough tube (or 2-wire attachment)

steelfish

Quote from: Tile on February 15, 2020, 02:33:36 PM
....Also replacing the tip with a solid one makes a whole lot of difference in regards to durability.

Quote from: philaroman on February 16, 2020, 06:29:03 PM
extra-thin UL solid glass tips are crazy fun to abuse, super-sensitive (VISUALLY, only!), and virtually indestructible
only issue is finding a quality tip-top w/ small-enough tube (or 2-wire attachment)

thanks, I have the problem of the tiptop covered, I good friend gave me some old school carboloy tiptops on diferent sizes, actually the rod already have one installed, now I need to find some good quality one leg guides for it.
I plan to use it mostly for small fish from the shore with bait, so the flexible solid glass tip will work wonders with 4# triggers or 2# spottybass here in Baja.
I've been downsizing my rods and reels when fishing from shore with the kids cuz it makes the fish more fun and this kind of telecopic rods will make it 3x easier to transport that even 2-pc 9ft rods that I was using.
this one supposedly 3/4 of the rod is made of graphite and the last two section are glass.

@tile, I kind of loss on the "collars" on the end of the segments, what do you mean with collars? (trims of thread to reinforced the segment end with epoxic?)

The Baja Guy

philaroman

not saying all solid UL glass tips are the same
the top <1' of mine can be bent into a complete circle
(damsel flies won't land on it -- too bouncy, LOL)
never handled a tip-top w/ #3 tube, but I bet it would be too big
smallest I had (4.5 ?) needed a sleeve/insert,
made from the very tip of a broken graphite UL

Tile

These collars were found on older rods but no one offers them anymore  :( . The best option is wrapping the guides as normal.

philaroman

by collars, do you mean what looks like a tip-top,

but w/ a perfectly smooth, cylindrical, open-end tube?

here is the modern Fuji version: https://www.fujitackle.eu/fuji_telescopic_rod_guides

...and I have an old, small one where the "pipe" (collar?) is metal, welded to the guide frame

it was the tip-top on a 3m composite Euro Shakes

I think, for an optional spring/wire light-bite indicator

Glos

Look how those Fuji are serrated. Nice detail.
Usually those cheap ones fall off sooner or later. If not tied.

Gobi King

I never had luck with tele rods, few were stuck in open position and the rod just did not feel right, mostly el cheapo rod I tried I chucked.

I have a new love for 4 piece fly rods :-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan