Herter's 109, same as the DAM Junior

Started by festus, February 15, 2020, 03:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Been looking for one of the wine-red colored DAM Juniors in decent shape for some time with no luck.  This Herter's appeared on ebay a while back at a good price, so I jumped on it.  It had a few nicks and scratches but was clean, and bail, a/r, and reeling were working well.

Removing handle assembly.

Crank nut, spring washer, and crank.

Removing cover screws.

Removing inset.

Removing cover.

Yes, the main gear is made of nylon.

Removing the screw from the quadrant (slide or crosswind block) and axle.

Removing axle.

Removing screw from bearing bushing.

Removing hexagon nut.

Detaching the rotor and bearing bushing.

Removing the spring washer from the rotor.

Removing the pinion gear that's also made from nylon.

This DAM Quick has the fewest number of parts I've ever encountered.

A look inside the rotor and bail trip assembly.  I didn't get a pic of it disassembled, but it was taken apart and cleaned, bail spring reset.

Reinserting the pinion gear.

Reinserting the lubed bearing bushing and rotor nut.

Reinserting the screw to retain the bearing bushing.

The axle slides down the bearing bushing and is reattached to the quadrant.

Freshly lubed drive gear going back into place.

Reattaching cover.

Reattaching handle inset.

Reattaching handle assembly.

Finished.  This is the first reel I recall servicing that has both drive and pinion gears made of nylon.  Only other nylon gear I've encountered was in a Shakespeare 1969 baitcaster.  Not sure how strong these reels can be, but I doubt if I'd spool it with over 8 or 10 lb mono and river smallmouth bass would be the biggest species I'd chase. More geared for panfish in my opinion. However, this reel is remarkably smooth, reminds me of a cross between a Mitchell 304 and a DAM Quick 220, if you could imagine that. This reel was probably manufactured between 1954 to 1959, but Herter's may have continued to sell them into the 1960s.

One of these days I'll probably find one of the wine-red models.

festus

Here's the schematic in both English and German.

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester! The black ones with the metal name plate were from the '58 time frame. The '60- '63 models had a sticker decal. The earlier, post '54ish 109s were red.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Very nice little reel Chester! Thanks for the breakdown, very nice clean job.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TJAndrews

Quote from: festus on February 15, 2020, 03:08:49 AM
However, this reel is remarkably smooth, reminds me of a cross between a Mitchell 304 and a DAM Quick 220, if you could imagine that. This reel was probably manufactured between 1954 to 1959, but Herter's may have continued to sell them into the 1960s.

As I viewed the photos, I was thinking that the insides reminded me of my 304, except that I don't recall the 304's gears being made of nylon, and that "smooth" is not a term I would use for it. Oh, it works OK for what it is, but mine isn't "smooth." I've caught smallmouths and walleyes with my 304, but never liked it nearly as much as my Quick 331.