Looks like my Penn days are over

Started by mrbrklyn, February 19, 2020, 02:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on February 26, 2020, 02:50:41 PM
I've learned, especially with smaller reels, to ignore the gear ratio and pay attention to the inches per crank. The diameter of the spool counts for a lot!

This is what I was attempting to say when stating the inches per turn of handle.

But again Mark's simple explanation is much better.

mrbrklyn, please report back how this new ratio works for you. Very interested in hearing your thoughts... Jeff

Rivverrat

Seems low going by numbers. But that Tiburon reel will most likely grab some where around 37" - 40" line with each turn of the handle. What Mark & I are hoping you see is it's not all about the gear ratio a  3.6:1 ratio is not the same on different size spools. A taller spool will most always grab more line regardless of ratio when compared to a smaller reel. The ratio is in a constant state of change after a cast & during retrieve... Jeff

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Ron Jones

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 26, 2020, 06:58:44 PM
Quote from: MarkT on February 26, 2020, 02:50:41 PM
I've learned, especially with smaller reels, to ignore the gear ratio and pay attention to the inches per crank. The diameter of the spool counts for a lot!

This is what I was attempting to say when stating the inches per turn of handle.

But again Mark's simple explanation is much better.

mrbrklyn, please report back how this new ratio works for you. Very interested in hearing your thoughts... Jeff
I certainly agree with this as far as fishing technique, but when it comes to fighting a fish, gear ratio makes all the difference. That is why people buy 2 speed reels.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"