When is direct drive for backreeling when fishing beneficial?

Started by Lingwendil, February 20, 2020, 03:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingwendil

I see that some of the older Penn reels (some of the Mag 10, some Squidders, etc) have the ability to disengage the anti-reverse feature, and fish in "direct drive" mode. I hear that this can be useful for backreeling line out to play live bait, let current pull line, etc without placing the reel in freespool or changing the drag setting. I'm still rather new to conventional reels, as I've fished spinning reels almost exclusively for my whole life until this last summer, so I'm trying to figure how this could be useful for me to possibly read up on to improve my fishing experience. Is there any articles, recommended reading, or any material I should look into that can help me grasp the concept better? Even a simple writeup to get my noggin joggin would be helpful :)
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

thorhammer

mainly used if one is drift fishing to keep bait on bottom or in a zone while boat is moving, like flounder fishing an inlet or creek with live bait or jig. Not exactly sure why the Squidder has it- really designed as surfcasting piece where backreeling is useless IMO; but Mag 10's are great flounder reels and i use mine about every weekend on stripers.

John

MarkT

It always seemed to me to be a solution in search of a problem.  There may be a reason it isn't found in reels designed in the last 50 years!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

smnaguwa

When I lived in So CA, I used the Squidder direct drive when fishing anchovies on a party boat. I was probably misguided in thinking it would help hooking the bonito and lip hooking the barracuda.

foakes

While many more modern reels will have more features, versatility, and convenience -- the "Squidder" has an historical and proven place among mostly surf fishermen.  Although, it is also a great reel for dropping iron or plugs when bottom fishing for rock-cod types of fish.  Sometimes a lighter touch to feel the bite is useful -- or just the ability to back off the pressure to try and release a stuck bait -- while not switching to free spool -- which is generally for me, a bird nest waiting to spring into tangles.

Hard to knock a reel that was in production for at least 2 generations -- sold millions -- and still performs well.

However, probably only a handful of fishermen are knowledgeable about the function and uses of the reverse gear control.

Many surf anglers enjoy this feature -- but mostly the surf guys are using HD quality spinners nowadays.

The Squidder isn't for everyone -- but is one of my favorite reels -- either stock, or upgraded with improved features.

When Carl Newell developed Squidder size reels -- many stopped using the old Penn Squidders.

Here is the official Penn explanation in one of the owners manuals out of a boxed Squidder --

These are excellent reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

oc1

I swear by it to the point of permanently removing the anti-reverse on reels. 

If there is a bite you need to give the fish some line while it takes the bait and do it in a hurry.  Often there is no time to take the reel out of gear.  It's easier and quicker to just lift your thumb from the spool rather than taking it out of gear. 

Some weeks ago there was a thread about using braid on conventional reels.  A major complaint is that when extra tension is put on the line, braid will dig into the wraps on the spool and hang up a bit on the next cast ruining the cast.  That happens to me a lot as the jig is being bounced over rough bottom with a lot of snags.  It is easier and quicker to lift the thumb and let some line play out to make sure the line has not dug itself into the wraps rather than take it out of gear.

-steve

Lingwendil

Quote from: MarkT on February 20, 2020, 05:32:16 PM
It always seemed to me to be a solution in search of a problem.  There may be a reason it isn't found in reels designed in the last 50 years!

That's sort of the feeling I get from it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being ignorant to anything special you can do with it.

Quote from: oc1 on February 20, 2020, 07:23:40 PM
If there is a bite you need to give the fish some line while it takes the bait and do it in a hurry.  Often there is no time to take the reel out of gear.  It's easier and quicker to just lift your thumb from the spool rather than taking it out of gear. 

Some weeks ago there was a thread about using braid on conventional reels.  A major complaint is that when extra tension is put on the line, braid will dig into the wraps on the spool and hang up a bit on the next cast ruining the cast.  That happens to me a lot as the jig is being bounced over rough bottom with a lot of snags.  It is easier and quicker to lift the thumb and let some line play out to make sure the line has not dug itself into the wraps rather than take it out of gear.

-steve

That makes sense, especially on finicky target species, or quick strikes  I suppose.

I was thinking maybe a visual indicator of your line paying out could be useful in some situations too.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

thorhammer

Love my Squidders- from the plastic spooled maroon plates to my full Cortez Conversions. Building two 146's this week :)

Gfish

One other thing you might be able to use the AR off lever for; you pull the reel out of storage and find the star has corrosion-welded to the handle or maybe someone(not you!)cross-threaded the star during the last service. After casting and turning off free-spool(now it's in gear) turn on the clicker, turn off the AR, and you can use your thumb as a pseudo-drag. Watch your knuckles!

The Penn catalogue explaination made no sense, probably just me...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

Admittedly, I'm a novice in fishing "conventional " reels, in a salt water situation, and haven't really had the situation come up, that called for "back reeling" with a conventional....but, for a lot of years, back reeling my spinners in fresh water situations has shown to be a pretty useful tactic. Something I learned, long ago, is if you're "back reeling", you need a firm grip on the handle....and I'm sure the same applies, to an even greater extent, in salt water. And, yes, even a "small" fish can "bark your knuckles", if you lose your grip on an ultra light spinner, so I'm sure "losing your grip" on a 49, with a large fish would make you cry! Anyway, the more "skills" , "tricks", and "tactics" you can learn...the more likely you are to be able to successfully catch fish, in any situation that may come along.....try it, you may find you like it, and that it "fits" with your style of fishing...or, you may decide you never want to do it again!!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

MarkT

It must be an old time surf casting thing that was such a great idea that they stopped making them 20 years ago!

Out here in Southern California you turn the spool backwards all the time when fishing with live bait.  You want/need to stay in contact with your bait. You just turn it backwards with your hand while in free spool.  If the line starts going out faster than what you can stop with your thumb, throw it in gear and start cranking, you've got a fish on!  Being one with the bait is easier these days with spectra line that's so sensitive that you can feel the bait getting nervous when something big comes along and gives him the eye.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hardy Boy

I thought is was so that a walleye could take out line when it was "fighting" ................................ :D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Dominick

Quote from: MarkT on February 20, 2020, 08:51:58 PM

Being one with the bait is easier these days with spectra line that's so sensitive that you can feel the bait getting nervous when something big comes along and gives him the eye.

Yes!  Feeling the fish panic you have to jump on the eccentric to put the reel in gear.  I get a kick out of that nervousness every time it happens.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

akfish

The anti-reverse lever on a 49 was useful when fishing wire line. You could let the line out and count handle rotation to determine how much line was going out. The traditional method of putting you bait out so many pulls just didn't work well with wire. People up here who salmon fish with mono and without downriggers still say things like "I was fishing a whole herring behind 6 ounces and 35 pulls." BTW: I believe the Penn 310 was the last reel made by Penn with an anti-reverse with.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska