South Bend Classic 935 R&R

Started by xjchad, February 20, 2020, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

I was reminded that I had a South Bend Classic Model 935 in the bin that I had picked up awhile ago and forgotten about.  Since I'd sold my Slammer 360 I was in need of another light duty surf reel and this seemed like it would fit the bill.  After going through it, I think I'll like this reel even better than the Penn.

So here's the reel as I received it.  In very nice shape to begin with and very smooth.

Simple, strong frame and components.

Single bearing on the pinion that's sealed on the rotor side (great for surf conditions).

All the critical parts seem to be stainless, very few plastic parts.  Anti Reverse is on the pinion. 

I made some Carbon Fiber drag discs to replace the felt ones.  The 3 stack should put out plenty of drag.

Finished it off the best way I know how with a custom knob from Sal.

I spooled it up with some 30 lb. braid and it should be ready for everything from perch to pancakes!

This reel is so smooth and feels very strong without being too heavy.  The AR is very quiet compared to one's I've used that are on the main gear (although personally I enjoy the sound of the ratcheting dog).
I got this reel on ebay for $9.  Proof that you don't need to spend a lot of cash to have quality, reliable gear.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

happyhooker

Nice look at a kinda "sleeper" quality reel.

Frank