The Most Under-Appreciated & Capably Versatile DAM Quick Reel?

Started by foakes, February 21, 2020, 09:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Started restoring (11) reels for a client today -- (2) 265 Microlites, (2) 110 Microlites, a 280 Finessa, (3) Cardinal 3's, (1) Cardinal 4, and a couple of Shakespeares -- 2052 & 2062.

These were all e-Bay purchases that the client sent to me.

Just had to take a moment to admire possibly one of the most versatile, tough, well built, under appreciated, and cheapest nowadays to buy DQ reels ever produced.

The "Finessa" 280 & 285 were produced for a little under 10 years -- starting in 1956.

Check out some of the features --

Aircraft grade aluminum frames & rotors, bronze and steel gears, oversize bearing, metal spool, perfect reinforced frame points even inside where it doesn't show, (2) removable sideplates with (4) screws in each side, perfect centerline balanced drive-train.  Even for a guy who has worked on many thousands of these over 40+ years -- these are impressive and capable.  Tolerance measurements at "0" degradation or movement over 62 years of obvious hard use.

This is the mid-size precursor DQ that was later the 330/331.

The early DAM Quick engineers likely forgot more about building quality reels then most subsequent reel-makers ever did learn -- and they didn't forget much...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Your client has some good taste in reels and after your magic, he's set up for many years to come.

I'd never heard of a Finessa until a few days before I discovered this site about 2-1/2 years ago.  Lucked out and found a good 285 at a yard sale for 8 bucks. Didn't take long to build a good collection of various sizes in the Finessa series.

xjchad

I'll be keeping my eyes open for one now Fred!  ;D

Every time I see pictures of your workspace/house/property I am inspired and motivated to get myself to your level of standards. 
Amazing work Fred!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

All done --

Full restoration with new oven-baked wrinkle paint -- and about 10 parts replaced with NOS parts, including a new bearing.

Every part inside has been burnished and polished -- fine tuned, and smooth.

Good for another 60 years.

This reel will handle most fish from Salmon and Stripers -- down to large Trout, Cats, and Bass.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

hi  fred,  well how was your mini vacation fishing with various reels?   hope you and your wife had a fantastic time, take care my friend.   harryk

mo65

I like the Finessa...it's a great reel. That one looks factory fresh...excellent work Fred! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

A lot of the 330 reels have the independent 4 screw side plates also.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

ClintB

I notice this one has the snap on type spool nut. Both of mine have the screw down style nut. Is this just some of the transitional differences between the 280/285 and the 330?

festus

Quote from: ClintB on February 29, 2020, 08:56:28 PM
I notice this one has the snap on type spool nut. Both of mine have the screw down style nut. Is this just some of the transitional differences between the 280/285 and the 330?
Most likely you have the 280 with the screw down drag nut. Been a while since I serviced a 280/285, but one difference I recall in those and the 330 is the 330 has a snap ring securing the pinion bearing. The 280/285 Finessas do not have this part.

ClintB

Beachmaster

Fred,
How would you go about getting more drag out of the 280/285?

foakes

A big part about drag that many folks overlook -- is smoothness in all drag ranges -- from the lightest application to full lockdown.

Because any "jerkiness" will contribute to the drag becoming uncontrollable -- plus a large fish may be lost due to the drag not being smooth.

I would start with flat lapping the metal discs to a mirror smoothness -- and installing Cal's greased CF's.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

Yup! I agree Fred.
Also want to mention, when increasing drag numbers on most reels, this will usually make their original max drag smoother.
It just happens in most cases.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handyandy

nice restore first dam quick I got was an ebay special finessa.