A brief look at a Daiwa 4290

Started by festus, February 21, 2020, 10:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

A while back I found a box of Daiwas listed as parts reels.  It's looking like maybe they'll all be functioning in the near future.

This 4290 came with the incorrect handle--probably about 2 sizes too big.  Bail, anti-reverse, and drag all seem ok.

One more slight problem, it's missing an insert in the drag knob, but the drag works.

Removing body cover screw.

Inside is a look at another very simply engineered reel with a minimum of parts.

Removing the oscilating slider pin.

Removing the axle.

Removing the oscillating slider.

Rotor nut is 14mm with regular right hand threads.

A look at the pinion.

Drive gear has been removed and there's actually a brass sleeve or oilite bushing under there.

A look at the ball bearing.  My snap ring pliers have four different attachments, but none will fit here.  Since it has a sealed bearing, I did my best wiping it off, giving it a shot of oil and let it be.  Didn't want to spend much time on this reel.  Maybe I can find a pair of mechanical drawing dividers that will take it out.

I cleaned bail spring, arm lever, line guide, etc. but left the anti-reverse and bail trip assembly intact.

Here's the drag assembly--one four way eared washer, one nylon washer, and one keyed washer.  I have no idea if this is correct, because the schematic didn't show a breakdown.

Got it back together, it reels very freely and smooth for such a minimum amount of parts. Almost as smooth as the smaller 7250HRLA which has many more parts. These are medium size reels, spool diameter is the same as a Mitchell 300.  Weighs 12-1/4 oz, but would be a little lighter with the correct handle.

festus

Schematic. 

Crow

Another good job, Festus ! How many spinners in your collection, now ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Quote from: Crow on February 21, 2020, 10:55:37 PM
Another good job, Festus ! How many spinners in your collection, now ?
I haven't counted, but taking a guess, probably over 200. It's difficult to pass up these $2-$3 dollar reels even if they'll never be worth much of anything.  ::)

philaroman

might have hidden value

check if the spool and/or rotor is compatible w/ one of 8000's (or other better models)

or, sometimes the individual parts are incompatible, but the entire "top assembly"

(rotor/spool/knob) can be moved to a different model as a unit

Silvers

The "wrong" handle seems to be from a Shakespeare Ballbearing reel, the knob-style is well knowing for those Shakespeare reels which was build at Ohmori in Japan.