349 Mariner screws

Started by mhc, February 23, 2020, 12:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Don (Donnyboat) has modified some stainless button head screws (that Chris (Tidlerbasher) had sent him) to sit flush with 349 side plates. I reckon they turned out pretty well - these are the photos of the result and I'll let Don describe how he did it.

And installed on a very tidy looking 349H;

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

There you go Mike, thanks again for placing these pics for me, hopefully this may help someone, and thanks again Chris for the screws, although you sent them many moons ago,
     I screwed the screws into a old rough post I had, then placed them into the portable drill, ground them to the shape I wanted them, then finnished them of with a disc, that is made for grinding & polishing mettle at the same time, the disc is called a bright boy, we use them in the shearing game for restoring the teeth on the combs, such as smoothing any chips out on the back of the comb, so the comb flows through the wool much smoother, with less friction, I have a shaft with a bright boy on one end & a buff on the other,
     El pescador- Wayne is keen to get some of these  screws, if anyone, can put us onto an outlet that makes them.
     or maybe if we could get enough people wanting them, then Maybe, Chris might be able to get a large number made, hopefully Chris may chime in on this, cheers Don. thanks again Mike & Chris.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Quote from: Donnyboat on February 23, 2020, 12:42:54 AM
     El pescador- Wayne is keen to get some of these screws, if anyone, can put us onto an outlet that makes them.

Don????  KEEN????  I'm ready to make an order tonight!!!!

I enjoy using my Penn 349H in Cabo for whatever hits my hook!!!!!

GREAT POST DON!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Sounds good Wayne, I love your 349 with the jigmaster spacers, Wayne post a pic with the spacers for members to see, correction, this is Mike Curries post, thanks again Mike, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Donnyboat

Yes thanks Wayne, I think everyone, would just drool over that reel, to good to fish with, love the spacers, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

I agree Don...that reel looks hot. Nice touch Wayne. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Nice reels!  I'd be in for a set to dress up mine
Do what you can with that you have where you are

El Pescador

Quote from: mo65 on February 23, 2020, 04:27:17 AM
I agree Don...that reel looks hot. Nice touch Wayne. 8)

Thanks, MO!!!!

The 501 Bars - Polished- are from PRO Challenger!!!!!!

Some new side plate screws will REELY dress it up, don't you think?????

Wayne

Alto Mare

A very good upgrade for that reel Don...

I've done something similar about 5 years ago on my 112H, but it was done to make The head of the screws look better on the face side only.

Great job buddy!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Wayne - I have found the remains of one of my original orders - 5/8" 5-40 button head screws approx 50 + yours foc (re-distribute whatever) pm me your address.
The actual cost of getting them made ain't so bad, it's when you factor in shipping and tax ::)
Oh! and minimum order is usually 200 :o

El Pescador

THANK YOU Chris!!!

PM'ing my address you to ASAP :o

Wayne

Tiddlerbasher

In the post tomorrow.
I never bothered to change the screw heads - I used them as they came.
I did try and get some made with the right profile but no luck - the suppliers I contacted would only make raised c/s slotted ones :(.

I use 2 or 3 of the original screws to hold everything in place - then fit the button head screws - once they are tight I remove the original screws and replce them with button heads - everything stays in place and looks cool 8)

Alto Mare

I want to mention that McMasters Carr carries 5-40 ss button  head screws... I think, they are undercut so they could sit flush m.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Glad it looks like it is all working out for you Wayne, dont forget some pics when you finish it,and thanks Sal, I am very happy with my reel now, your the man Chris thanks again man. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat