Can anyone translate this Kanji (I believe that's what it is) inscription?

Started by Neilman, February 27, 2020, 05:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smnaguwa

Gobi King

This what my Onii replied, I asked for the exact translation when he had a min. The kanji indicates:

"It indicates the grade and quality of the blade"
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

If it's a traditional single bevel yanagiba then sharpen according to this video:
https://www.knifeplanet.net/lesson-5-how-to-sharpen-single-bevel-japanese-knives/

There are a few variations to this method but the link is a good starting point ;)

SoCalAngler

Your right Neilman it's a yanagiba, or yana-giba.

I have no idea what it says though.

I had mine shipped from Japan.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Neilman on February 28, 2020, 02:58:02 AM

Contrary to what I understood about folded metal, In his 'Best Japanese Knives' he stated that the folding of the metal had more to do with aesthetics than to blade-strength.  

For what it's worth.     While this is true today with new powder steel alloys. with S30 & 35 also S90V & the S110v my favorite for pocket knives & for some production or high use. S110V is not for any one who has trouble putting a sharp on other steels. There is little room for error with it. It will go from whittling a hand held single hair to   work sharp fairly quick but will hold a work sharp edge beyond what most other available steel will.

None of the older blade steels no matter heat treat or alloy used will hold an edge as well as the new powderd steels. It's simply impossible. However long ago, depending on who made it the Damascus blades could be better performers than some other methods of long ago ... Jeff

swill88

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 28, 2020, 04:45:26 PM
If it's a traditional single bevel yanagiba then sharpen according to this video:
https://www.knifeplanet.net/lesson-5-how-to-sharpen-single-bevel-japanese-knives/

There are a few variations to this method but the link is a good starting point ;)

Thanks for the link!
Steve

Robert Janssen

So, i asked japanese grandma about it. It is kind of tricky she said, because it is very antiquated language. Like interpreting Shakespeare in ye olde englysh, but with signs.

First sign is chrysanthemum. Second is katana. Last and second last are scrolls, like a certificate or crest, and seperated.

So all told, she gets like, "katana from the family with the chrysanthemum crest" or similar.

She also got the impression of it being a particularly fine or distinguished item.

So now you know...

Ron Jones

We need to show all the gamers that translation so they stop calling broad swords Katanas :)
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"