Mitchell 308 Questions

Started by nelz, March 05, 2020, 08:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I just picked up a nice Mitchell 308, beautiful little reel. ;D

It's a first for me, never owned or worked on one before. So, I've got some questions:

1) Is the oscillation supposed to be just up and down or does it have a weird pattern that I've never seen?
2) Is the handle knob screwed on normally or reverse?
3) Is the roller supposed to turn?

I'll post pictures later...

Thanks!

festus

The oscillation system uses planetary gears, so it's a weird pattern.  If I remember correctly, you turn the handle clockwise to remove it.  I'll leave question 3 to someone who knows.

mo65

Quote from: nelz on March 05, 2020, 08:55:51 PM
1) Is the oscillation supposed to be just up and down or does it have a weird pattern that I've never seen?

The oscillation kind of "pumps" back and forth as it moves. I'm not sure about the 308, but the 306 can use either a regular planamatic cam or the crosswind cam.

2) Is the handle knob screwed on normally or reverse?

Mine unscrews normal, it's not reverse.

3) Is the roller supposed to turn?

I don't think so...at least none of mine move.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Thanks guys. So I opened it up, wow, an ultralite reel packed full of nasty axel grease! Quite a change from the bone-dry usual. Definitely planetary/planamatic, a first for me.

I must've spent 2 hours trying to re-assemble the bail. First had to bend it back into shape it was all bent up. Then I made a rookie error getting the bail-spring back in and ended up mangling it up and seriously scratching the edges of its enclosure (I didn't see the tiny pinhole on the bail arm where it's supposed to attach).  >:(
Never did get the knob off, CorrosionX got it spinning good again.

Like I said, beautiful little reel, unique oscillation tech, hate the line guide, love the quick release spool and spring-loaded handle folding design. Thanks for the tips guys.

happyhooker

Guessing the line guide does turn, like the 300, but it isn't a roller.  It will inch around over time, helping to minimize any grooving.

Frank

nelz

Btw, this tiny reel has a HUGE foot! I had to file it down to fit it on a rod.

foakes

Quote from: nelz on March 08, 2020, 04:19:29 AM
Btw, this tiny reel has a HUGE foot! I had to file it down to fit it on a rod.

Those are valuable and high quality reels, Nelz --

I think I might have modified the reel mounts on the rod -- or gotten a different rod.

But that was your call.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Quote from: foakes on March 08, 2020, 05:16:21 AMThose are valuable and high quality reels, Nelz --I think I might have modified the reel mounts on the rod -- or gotten a different rod.  But that was your call.
Best,
Fred

Ha-ha, I feel your pain over what I've done Fred, lol. :o Actually, the previous owner had started filing it down already, I just finished the task and made it look nice, even used a Sharpie to blacken it again. But wow, that reel foot is humongous! Anyway, can't wait to try this little beauty out!

DougK

those line guides don't turn at all - my 1974 Mitchell 308 had one, would move it around when it grooved.
The nice thing is the newer bail arms with working rollers fit perfectly. So I have a 74 Mitchell with an 86 bail arm, replaced after the old line guide was entirely grooved up..

Danwin22

The 308 oscillation was designed to lay the line on the spool in a cross-hatch pattern.

If you get a kinky type 2 or 4 lb line on a windy day and aren't reeling in with fingers on your line you can end up with a wad or snag.  The cross-hatch pattern lets you undo the snag.

I had a beautiful little Quick ultralight reel that had a large blade on the spool drag that would catch line in a wind and I'd end up with the line wrapped around the blade instead of the spool.
USAF 1958-'62   NRA Member

mo65

Quote from: Danwin22 on July 24, 2020, 08:15:06 PM
I had a beautiful little Quick ultralight reel that had a large blade on the spool drag that would catch line in a wind and I'd end up with the line wrapped around the blade instead of the spool.

I've had the same thing happen...more than once...with my Quick 265 Microlite. It sticks out just a little too far.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~