SS Pro Challenger 4:1 Gear Set

Started by CaptainRMF, March 08, 2020, 01:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

Good morning Guys. It's been awhile since my last post. Hope everyone is doing good. So a friend from my boatyard wants me to upgrade his 113H Senator to the 4:1 gears for him. Gonna get the kit form Mystic parts plus a SS yoke as recommended. Question is: is it necessary to change the eccentric jack and dog to SS also. Have never used any SS parts before so need the input from the Ohana Brains. Also can the HT-100 5 stack in it be cleaned and greased with Cal's. They are not dry looks like they were oiled. What's the best way. Thanks for the help Guys.                                                                           Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

RowdyW

Use a SS gear sleeve & SS dog. A SS jack is not needed but can be used. Since you are going that far why not install a 7+1 drag set or a drag insert set. Since you are getting 4 to 1 SS gears why not get the gears that use the Versa style drags from Mystic made by Black Pearl (Challanger). The original drags can be reused if they look good after cleaning with Dawn & a toothbrush. Don't forget the Cal's drag grease.            Rudy

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on March 08, 2020, 02:19:48 PM
Use a SS gear sleeve & SS dog. A SS jack is not needed but can be used. Since you are going that far why not install a 7+1 drag set or a drag insert set. drags Since you are getting 4 to 1 SS gears why not get the gears that use the Versa style drags from Mystic made by Black Pearl (Challanger). The original drags can be reused if they look good after cleaning with Dawn & a toothbrush. Don't forget the Cal's drag grease.            Rudy
Sorry Rudy, but the custom SS Jack snd Yoke is very much needed with the custom gear set and it isn't  that Costly.
The brass is a little softer and it has s little more  flexing, it us ok with the penn gears, but the tolerance on custom parts is a little tighter.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Sal, I can see upgradeing the yoke but the SS jack would not be neccessary unless you were putting in stronger clutch springs which are not needed. The only strain on the jack is from the clutch springs. A brass jack slides just as easy as a SS jack. I never said to use a brass yoke.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on March 08, 2020, 03:52:38 PM
Sal, I can see upgradeing the yoke but the SS jack would not be neccessary unless you were putting in stronger clutch springs which are not needed. The only strain on the jack is from the clutch springs. A brass jack slides just as easy as a SS jack. I never said to use a brass yoke.
Got it Rudy! Thanks!

Alll my builds get the full exchange with parts, I don't like to mix.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CaptainRMF

Thanks Rudy and Sal for the info. Will do SS gears, yoke and eccentric from Mystic but didn't see a SS dog listed anywhere for the 113H on Mo's site. Any where else to get one ? This reel will not be a Tank it's just for Striped Bass and Blue fish up here in Raritan Bay. He just wanted a little faster retrieve rate. Thanks again guys.                                                                                                                            Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Gfish

Based on what I've experienced, an ss dog for the stock gear sleeve--ok. If you's to go with a ss gear sleeve though, and keep the brass dog, the dog would get execessive wear on one side. Just like a new aftermarket ss pinion gear can chew up a brass yolk.
What you're gonna do should be good with the ss yolk and you don't really need the ss dog unless you go to a ss gear sleeve.
I think the "versa style drags" for the 113H from P. C. have been a great improvement for mine. The range of adjustibility has significantly improved.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

CaptainRMF

Hey Gfish you are absolutely right. The problem was in my Brain. This is my first reel this year, it was early in the morning, I'm old with CRS and didn't have any beer yet when I asked the question !! For some reason I was thinking that the Dog was ratcheting against the SS gear instead of the brass gear sleeve. It's a no brainer now after Happy Hour !!! Thanks for waking me up.                                           Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF