Rod Restoration Eagle Claw (circa 74')

Started by jgp12000, March 08, 2020, 07:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I have an Eagle Claw that was my fathers it needs cork and is missing the Eagle Claw emblem? I just got one like it on EBAY.
Thank you,
James

festus

Hi James, some of these rod builders might be able to help with that.

I have a 5-1/2' EC spinning rod that's also lost its emblem.

thorhammer

Hey James, classic combo; is that an Aby Spinmatic? can't quite tell.

Without seeing your father's rod, taking the assumption that it's missing chunks of cork, the time tested way to repair that is to sand a wine cork on sand paper to make cork dust, then mix it with a dab of two-part epoxy and apply it proud in the hole. Once it cures, sand to contour. One might also a common fishing cork or any other source of cork, but I've found that wine corks simply somehow better one's focus for the job at hand; our Ohana corporate council might recco an Old Vin Zin and since his recco I'm inclined to agree. :)

As far as the badge goes- those are nice little emblems of an era past- I have a couple of WMcG rods also that were my father's favorites. I'm not sure they can be had new, but post up in the want-to-buy section- there are folks on here that may have a donor rod in a garage corner somewhere. I know Fred Oakes has been known to keep at least a half dozen old poles around, and I have several dozen, but none of those or I'd gladly send it on.

Do you need to rewrap the rod, or just repair cork and replace emblem? If the thread itself is in decent shape, you might be able to apply a few coats of clear varnish over the wraps; it's a light build but you can do that on a couple cardboxes without buying motorized equipment.

regards,

John

oc1

Add that to the list of badges/emblems that need to be reproduced.  A guy with some patience and talent, like Benny's jeweler friend, could almost make a cottage industry out of this stuff.
-steve

jgp12000

The reel is an Abumatic 290 made in Sweden has 2 pickups sooo smooth, wish he were here to use it.I have replaced the cork on other rods with stock from ebay.I forgot to mention I need the brass end cap.I may email Eagle Claw for an Emblem.The wrap closest to the reel needs to be redone,until I got the NOS rod.I thought my Father's rod was missing an eyelet but, that wrap was for aesthetics only.The new rod comes apart where the rod meets the handle.I applied some kroil to the brass fittings on my father's rod,but have yet to break it free to get to the foregrip?If EC has the emblems I will get extra to share and the info to obtain more.
Thanks for the Info.

happyhooker

Kudos to you for wanting to save a nice rod that obviously has a lot of emotional (family) connection.  It'll feel so good when you get it fixed & take it out the 1st time.

Frank

thorhammer

Looks like you need  a whole rear grip, which will need to be removed. Once you have  it clear, send me the diameter and length, and i will send you a new cork grip if i have one that size N/C. May have an aluminum butt cap also. Can see very clearly, but looks like you may be able to freshen up the fore grip with steel wool. I prefer it over sandpaper because it contours better ans still doesn't remove a lot of material.

John

jgp12000

John,
The handle cork is 5" long with an ID of .5" the OD is 1" at the reel seat and tapers down to 7/8" inside where the cap would be.
Thanks,
James

jgp12000

I finally got a hold of Eagle Claw and they are sending me 3 emblems free. The number is 720-941-8723

thorhammer

I have a tapered rear; you will need to trim an inch off and file out to ID.

jgp12000

thorhammer

havent forgotten you- just social distancing from the post office and other public space as much as possible at the moment.

jgp12000

I understand that,they gave us 60days admin at RobinsAFB until notified,I can't be over 2 hours from work

jgp12000

Thorhammer gave me a cork handle and I found the end cap in my "organizer" .Wright McGill sent me 3 emblems no charge.

happyhooker

Glad WM helped you out.  Some companies wouldn't even bother or answer.

Frank