Classic Inshore!

Started by Slowly, November 28, 2011, 02:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowly

Hi all hope you doing fine!   ;D

Hi Alan!

Want to buy a 5501 classic inshore, they come with SS gears and some other great features...

Since they are a bit slow 5.1:1, I want to change the gear ratio to 6.3:1

would a c4 gear set work?  ???

opinions on this reel?

thankyou!!!
Pura Vida!

Snagged2

For some reason,, I'm thinking the gears from an Inshore aren't compatible with the standard C3 style gears..

Might be something with the pinion bore.. if memory serves..

I don't have one around anymore to determine the issue..but, it did have some nice features,, including the SS gears. small diameter spool arbor, and, I liked the larger double paddle handle!

alantani

many of the gears are interchangeable.  even abu garcia does not keep that info available.  you'd have to install a set an see....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

abudoc

The Classic Inshore has the right side bearing outside of the spool and engages via a pin through the shaft. Therefore the pinion gear is shorter than the  UltraCast versions and will not interchange.

Killerbug

Here in Scandinavia they sell a version of the Inshore classic with 6.3:1 gearing, and thumb bar release. It's called predator.  So yes you can get 6.3:1 gears for the classic inshore. (the c4 pinion will not fit in the Inshore, the gear yes). But both the gears and the spool have been upgraded since the first version 1700, so be carefull that you get the gears from the right revision. If you want I can help, but I need to know the revision of your reel.

I don't think ABU is delivering the latest versions with SS gears anymore, at least I have seen a few new reels lately fitted with brass gears.  

My opinions on this reel are, it is one of the strongest(and cheapest baitcasters) in the shops today, and in the hands of a god caster, it will outcast and outlast many Shimano or Daiwa high tech reel on the market.  

Some of the key features are, Dual anti reverse, Stainless steel bearings from INA, Power handle, weaved carbon drag washers.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Slowly

thank you all for taking the time to leave some feedback!   :) :) :)

as soon i get the reel(if I bought it), I'll get back to you!
  ;D
Pura Vida!

Killerbug

If I should mention a week point on the classics, it would the drags. Here the whole construction is clearly coming of age, and even upgraded with Carbontex washers they do not deliver the same performance as more modern designs.

Slowly

Pura Vida!

Irish Jigger

Nice reel. Like the fine print, "Made in Sweden."

Killerbug

Congrats, like the powerhandle.

Slowly

Got the reel!!  ;D ;D ;D

re-greased with blue evinrude johnson, re-lubed with reel x

fished with it yesterday, caught a 7 lbs roosterfish and a 5 lbs mackerel  ;D
no pictures cause i realized i had left the camera in the car when we had walked for about 20 minutes and was NOT going to return!

any way the reel is a BEAST! a bit slow but found it faster than my luna 253, it casts good but a friend of mine that has a right handed version tells me that once used a few times it will cast even better.

the spool design is totally different, the bearings are outside the spool and the spool axle is fixed to the spool.

I will make a tutorial of this reel for you to see   :)

Pura Vida!

inhotpursuit

How are the newer models holding up against corrosion?my old C 3's were constantly needing new parts thats the main reason i switched to shimano reels

Killerbug

Quote from: inhotpursuit on December 20, 2011, 07:46:54 AM
How are the newer models holding up against corrosion?my old C 3's were constantly needing new parts thats the main reason i switched to shimano reels

I will tell you in 30 years time.  With prober maintenance and use, you can keep any Ambassaduer in working condition a lifetime. But the Inshore bearings will for sure hold better against corrosion than Shimano's pinion bearings, I guarantee you that. 

But to give you a more precise answer, i need to know what parts you had to change all the time in your c3's?

Bryan Young

That's a beauty of a reel.  Good call.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

inhotpursuit

Quote from: Killerbug on December 20, 2011, 08:08:03 AM
Quote from: inhotpursuit on December 20, 2011, 07:46:54 AM

I will tell you in 30 years time.  With prober maintenance and use, you can keep any Ambassaduer in working condition a lifetime. But the Inshore bearings will for sure hold better against corrosion than Shimano's pinion bearings, I guarantee you that. 

But to give you a more precise answer, i need to know what parts you had to change all the time in your c3's?
It was a long time ago ,almost 20 years  i don't remeber if they were actually C3's they were Ambassadeur 6500's but they were used mainly for light  saltwater jigging,bearings and an anti- reverse dog and a few other bits and pieces, the frames were severly corroded i'm guessing a lot of the problem was electrolysis  corrosion i had left them on my saltwater moored  boat all winter without rinsing, but it was back in the day when all i knew was rinse and oil ,never took them apart, you may be right about inshore bearings  lasting longer than stock  shimano pinion bearing but mine are sealed bearings and they are injected with yamaha grease so i have no worries as for casting well i am certainly no expert but none of my buds abu's can outcast my shimano's