US SENATOR 113N

Started by SushiKing, March 15, 2020, 07:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SushiKing

I just got a used US SENATOR 113N that is in pretty good shape but the Handle is sloppy I think it is the Bridge - Sleeve is there a fix to tighten this up or is this just how these reels are ?

RowdyW

Tighten the handle screw. Maybe it was loose to long and slightly rounded the gear sleeve, handle, or both. If so then they need to be replaced and install the handle reasonably tighter. The handle should be snug on the gear sleeve when installing handle on the sleeve.               Rudy

Bill B

If the handle attached to the arm is loose no fix except drill the old one out and replace the handle.  Alan T. sells a great handle for that.  If the arm is loose on the gear sleeve try tightening the gear sleeve nut, if still loose replace the gear sleeve.  An upgrade for the US Senators is a new bridge from Cortez Conversions, it has an improved dogs system and stainless steel gear sleeve.  Not sure if he has them in stock, they quickly sell out.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Your best fix would be to upgrade to a Cortez Conversions bridge and sleeve made specifically for US113. It'll make your reel bullet proof

The stock bridge sleeve is prone to self destruct under a load. If it's sloppy, I'd for sure be upgrading to the Cortez bridge sleeve

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Brewcrafter

One I have been tripped up on twice in the past, particularly when crossing/mixing parts - Many handle screws are not fully threaded their entire length, they have a slight fillet under the head that is not threaded.  This adds strength and insures that the handle is centered on the rotation axis.  On the stock sleeves I have messed with, the top few .001 of the sleeve is not threaded, it has an open chamfer with no threads to allow room for this fillet. 
1.  If switching to an aftermarket handle (thinner metal) it may cause the bridge screw to want to go deeper into the sleeve, and the fillet will prevent this and start to interfere with the threads.  A thin washer on the outside of the handle will cure this.
2.  If an aftermarket sleeve or a factory sleeve that is drilled and tapped/threaded all the way to the top, you could (if you are braver than I) take a Dremel and do a "countersink" into the threads to allow room for this fillet, but you stand the risk of boogering up your thread engagement and possibly ruining a sleeve.
Beyond parts actually being damaged/defective, this is one that I have run into a couple of times. - John

SushiKing

Thanks for the reply's I am going to get a Cortez Bridge Kit it looks like the best option for this repair.

RowdyW

You are probably going to need a new handle too.