Costa Rica

Started by Swami805, March 15, 2020, 01:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I'm headed to Costa Rica tomorrow for a week for some R&R. First vacation we've taken in several years. Not this best timing with all that's going on or it could be really good timing since the airport/flights crowds will be light. Time will tell.
Plan is to fish the local beaches from shore. No telling what's swimming around down there but I'll find out. Checked online a bunch of charter boats but mucho $ for not a lot of time on the water. If something local looks good I'll give it a shot. My last time down there I got taken for a "Missouri boat ride", don't wanna do that again
Anyway I have all day to obsess on my gear, here's some of what I'm bringing
Put fresh guides on a harnell surf rod and fresh drag washers in a ss550 for it
Couple small spinners for a lami and a G Loomis
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

Spent some time polishing up a dozen krocks. Everything likes krocks!
Bringing some gulp
Some luckycrafts and sp minnows
Some spools of floro

Swami805

A couple bait casters for heavier line
A bunch of small sinkers and what have you for Carolina rigs
Some bobbers. Fill them half way with water and add a leader for the gulp for fishing rocky areas. Adjust the leader length to keep outa the rocks
A variety of different hooks
What am I missing?
I figure I can fit all this in my checked bag no worries!

Swami805

Air bus leaves for lax in 23 hours and 55 minutes haha. Plenty of time to obsess some more!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Hope that you guys have a fantastic trip.  If anyone can catch 'em, you can Sheridan, and you certainly won't be lacking ammunition!  I will bet you dollars to donuts that you will check that big roosterfish off of your bucket list.  They hang out real tight to the beach down there.

Randy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I forgot to say that they love big poppers, i.e. Yo-zuri Bull GT.

ReelFishingProblems

Have a fantastic trip! I hope you send a full report when you get back.

RowdyW

While you are down in Costa Rica look around for an american fisherman from this forum named Sean (Fat Tuna). He's been down there for about 2 weeks already. He says the shores are real rocky & to many surfers.       Rudy

Maxed Out

I'm sure you'll have a blast and take lots of pictures to share with those of us on lockdown. Hope you enjoy your well deserved R&R

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

El Pescador

Swami,

What side of Costa Rica are you fishing????

Pacific side...

or

Caribbean Sea side????

Man, you will have a great time there.  I love watching fishing shows from that part of the world.

PHOTOS!!!!!   We all need PHOTOS!!!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Swami805

Thanks guys. I'll be on the north end of the pacific side. We have a house that's a short walk to the beach so I plan to beat it to death in the early mornings and drive around a little later in the day.  There's a couple river mouths that could be good not far from us too
I've been trying to catch a rooster fish for a few decades but I'm pretty sure I'm a roosterfish jona. When I show up they vanish from the ocean. At this point I'm hoping to just see one
I'll try and get a bunch of pictures
Thanks again

Benni3

The rooster fish like the lures going past them fast,,,,, ;) and the best part of the trip for me and my girlfriend was the inshore fishing,,,,, :o that's when we realized just how beautiful costa rica is,,,,,,,, ;D

xjchad

Sounds like a blast Sheridan!
Looks like you're pretty well armed already, can't wait for the report!
Try to catch some cool reptiles while you're there too!!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Have a great trip Sheridan! Take lots of pics.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Hope you made it Sheridan. I heard on the npr news this AM(about 6 here, 9 there) that Costa Rica and other Cen. American countries aren't gonna take travelers from the USA. for the time being. I so hope I heard wrong...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!