Penn no.49 rubbing issue

Started by TheReelShop, March 16, 2020, 01:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

Whats up guys, hope everyone is doing well. So I have two Penn no.49 in for service. On one of the reels, the spool rubs when the handle is turned. The other one turns fine. I switched out the spools and the good reel's spool worked fine on the other one that came with the bad spool.

Upon inspection, first I noticed the spool had a ring as if it had been scoured and I saw the screw holding the dog had some brass bits that look like it came from the spool. Another thing I found was I noticed a difference in the spools despite them being the same. The shaft that inserts into the dog was raised on one (the one rubbing) while the other spool was smooth and flat. Has anyone encountered this.

Im pretty confident this is the issue, but I wanted some second opinions. If so, I'm stuck, I gotta find a spool.

RAISED

FLAT

alantani

i'm not sure i've ever seen a spool that has shifted on a spool shaft before, but it is certainly possible.  when i fine a spool rub in a reel that worked previously, it has been one of three things - first, the bushing is too badly worn. two, the spool itself is blown out.  and three, the frame is torqued.  we may have to add a fourth cause to the list!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

Quote from: TheReelShop on March 16, 2020, 01:37:49 AM
The shaft that inserts into the dog was raised on one (the one rubbing) while the other spool was smooth and flat.

You mean where the spool shaft inserts into the pinion, right?

Look closely at the other end of the spool shaft and look inside the tail plate cast control knob.  Could the knob have been tightened enough to shift the spool shaft?  Normally, the tail plate bakelite would break first.
-steve

Alto Mare

I have never seen a spool shaft move on one of these spools, but I have removed spool shafts on aluminum spools.
So, I'm guessing if it was an aluminum spool it could have happened.
I don't believe where you are pointing is the issue, everything looks normal to me.
The side of the spool is curved, this allows enough room for clearance towards the center.
You have a three-piece spool, I'm pretty sure it has spread out a little, maybe from having mono too tight.
The only place the spool would usually make contact is at the outer edge of the bridge and at the top of the eccentric jack when I'm free-spool
You could get lucky filing a little material off the tip of the jack and see if that helps.
You might also need a shim in the bushing by the handle side, but I have no idea on how your spool is sitting now.
Another option is to simply replace the bushing.
It's only $5.
Good luck!

If you look at the spool, there is s scratch mark towards the outer edge, I usually don't see those on a good spool.
If that mark is continuous... full, go ahead and try what has been mentioned above.
If it had s break, as not a full scratched circle, it will mean the spool is warped.
If that's the case, don't waste your time trying to straighten it up, it will eventually go back to being warped.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelShop

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 16, 2020, 10:35:36 AM
I have never seen a spool shaft move on one of these spools, but I have removed spool shafts on aluminum spools.
I don't believe where you are pointing is the issue, everything looks normal to me.
The side of the spool is curved, this allows enough room for clearance towards the center.
You have a three-piece spool, I'm pretty sure it has spread out a little, maybe from having mono too tight.
The only place the spool would usually make contact is at the outer edge of the bridge and at the top of the eccentric jack when I'm free-spool
You could get lucky filing a little material off the tip of the jack and see if that helps.
You might also need a shim in the bushing by the handle side, but I have no idea on how your spool is sitting now.
It's only $5.
Good luck!

If you look at the spool, there is s scratch mark towards the outer edge, I usually don't see those on a good spool.
If that mark is continuous... full, go ahead and try what has been mentioned above.
If it had s break, as not a full scratched circle, it will mean the spool is warped.
If that's the case, don't waste your time trying to straighten it up, it will eventually go back to being warped.

Sal

The "good" spool works great on both reels, whereas this one is giving issues. Just off of that I would think it''s just the spool being the problem.
The scratch towards the outer edge was caused by the screw that I posted in the first picture where you can see some brass shavings.
After reading though, I did look more and noticed the spools have different lengths.

IF THE SPOOL DID COME APART CAN I REPAIR THAT OR I NEED A REPLACEMENT?

SPOOL LENGTH DIFFERENCE (THE ONE WITH THE WHITE MONO IS THE ONE RUBBING AND IN THE PIC YOU CAN SEE ITS SLIGHTLY WIDER)

BETTER IMAGE OF THE RIGHT SIDE SPOOL. THE FLAT ONE IS THE GOOD ONE THAT WORKS ON BOTH REELS.

THIS IS WHAT CAUSED THE RING AROUND THE SPOOL.

TheReelShop

Quote from: oc1 on March 16, 2020, 07:43:19 AM
Quote from: TheReelShop on March 16, 2020, 01:37:49 AM
The shaft that inserts into the dog was raised on one (the one rubbing) while the other spool was smooth and flat.

You mean where the spool shaft inserts into the pinion, right?

Look closely at the other end of the spool shaft and look inside the tail plate cast control knob.  Could the knob have been tightened enough to shift the spool shaft?  Normally, the tail plate bakelite would break first.
-steve

Thanks I checked the side plate but it is not cracked.

Alto Mare

Quote from: TheReelShop on March 16, 2020, 03:48:52 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 16, 2020, 10:35:36 AM
It's only $5.
Good luck!

Sal

The "good" spool works great on both reels, whereas this one is giving issues. Just off of that I would think it''s just the spool being the problem.
The scratch towards the outer edge was caused by the screw that I posted in the first picture where you can see some brass shavings.
After reading though, I did look more and noticed the spools have different lengths.

IF THE SPOOL DID COME APART CAN I REPAIR THAT OR I NEED A REPLACEMENT?

SPOOL LENGTH DIFFERENCE (THE ONE WITH THE WHITE MONO IS THE ONE RUBBING AND IN THE PIC YOU CAN SEE ITS SLIGHTLY WIDER)

BETTER IMAGE OF THE RIGHT SIDE SPOOL. THE FLAT ONE IS THE GOOD ONE THAT WORKS ON BOTH REELS.

THIS IS WHAT CAUSED THE RING AROUND THE SPOOL.

If the spool that is giving problems  is wider, that would Confirm that it did spread.
I came up with Delrin dots that I place in the right side bushing, if the spool has spread just a little, that is all you need to make it right.
I'm still going to recommend a new bushing though... it's up to you.
You could try to press the spool back, some have done it, I never had luck so I gave up.
Honestly, a spacer in the right side bushing should cure it and might be all that it's needed.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelShop

Sal by new bushing you're referring to the right side bushing correct?

Alto Mare

Yes! That is made of brass the spool shaft is stainless steel.
The bushing will usually wear first.
I'm nit sure how bad it is, you might still need a Delrin dot afterwards, but most times you don't .

Sal

akfish

Penn put different spools and different bridges on different generations of 49s. The bottom of the bridge you are showing looks like a new bridge because it is beveled more than older bridges. The grinding may have been done -- I do it frequently -- so that you can fish with an older spool. It well could be that a new style aluminum tool will work fine. BTW: I still see lots of 49s in the shop and many have spools that won't work on some reels but work on others...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

TheReelShop

I removed the line. Nothing looked out of place, but the right side " bowl I guess you might call it" , I can turn it with my hand. Spool is shot then correct?

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 16, 2020, 05:47:33 PM
Yes! That is made of brass the spool shaft is stainless steel.
The bushing will usually wear first.
I'm nit sure how bad it is, you might still need a Delrin dot afterwards, but most times you don't .

Sal

Thanks Sal.

Quote from: akfish on March 16, 2020, 06:23:07 PM
Penn put different spools and different bridges on different generations of 49s. The bottom of the bridge you are showing looks like a new bridge because it is beveled more than older bridges. The grinding may have been done -- I do it frequently -- so that you can fish with an older spool. It well could be that a new style aluminum tool will work fine. BTW: I still see lots of 49s in the shop and many have spools that won't work on some reels but work on others...

I did see on Mystic parts 3 different kinds of spools, Aluminum, Metal, and Plastic.

Alto Mare

Yes the spool is shot, but there might always be someone that likes to waste time on trying to fix it...I'm not one of them.
I believe Mystic is all out of those.
I have the correct spool in new condition:

Ask your customer if he would like it, the cost is $15 for the spool + the shipping costs to where you would like it to go.

Sal

TheReelShop

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 17, 2020, 01:03:44 AM
Yes the spool is shot, but there might always be someone that likes to waste time on trying to fix it...I'm not one of them.
I believe Mystic is all out of those.
I have the correct spool in new condition:

Ask your customer if he would like it, the cost is $15 for the spool + the shipping costs to where you would like it to go.

Sal

Thanks Sal I appreciate that. Ok I will touch base with him and Ill get back to you.. I will PM once I get an answer.

Alto Mare

I have a correction to make so other members will know, in case they need it.

Mystic parts does carry the aluminum spool for this reel, it didn't show up on my computer,?but it did on my cell.

The aluminum spool is listed at $38, I'm sure there is tax and shipping added to it, but depends on how much you spend when you shop.

Sal

akfish

The aluminum spools much better than the oder metal spools because they handle mono without issues; mono compaction often warps the older spools.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska