Jigmaster Stainless Gear Sleeves coarse vs fine opinions

Started by Wilmar, March 17, 2020, 10:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilmar

Hey all,

I 'm finding this to be a good time to be focusing on upgrading my reel collection and I have a question before I order some parts for a 501 jigmaster.  

It has a steel main gear already, it is an older model 501 with course threaded gear sleeve and star.  I have a newer 500 with fine threaded star and bronze sleeve.  I like the fine tuning of the drag the fine threaded gear sleeve gives compared to the coarse sleeves.

Question #1:  I am planning to buy a stainless steel gear sleeve for this reel.  What are the pros and cons of coarse and fine threaded sleeves and stars in your opinions?

I am also wondering whether I should do an ultimate upgrade 5 + 1 drag stack or just stick with the three stack of carbon fiber drags in it already.  

Question #2:  I don't plan to upgrade to an aluminum frame for this 501.  It is the old post frame model.  With the 20 pounds of drag possible with the  
5 + 1 drag stack will my frame become the weak link?

Questions #3:  Now that I think about it why don't we/reel makers use a sort of flywheel key in reels so we don't shred expensive gears, frames, dogs, etc??  

Thanks for any input everyone, Chip

Gfish

Hey Chip!
Q.1) Much better range of fine tune drag adjustibility with the 98-505/10-505 sleeve & star. 10-505 star bigger with longer star-points. Unknowen advantage to 98-60/10-60 system, 'cept maybe faster ramp-up/down of drag adjustment, if needed.

Q.2) Yes. Will give you higher drag friction(12-18lbs.?) and less wear on each drag disc. Yes, that's alota pressure on even a narrow 501 post frame.

Q.3) Sorry, answering a Q. With a Q.; What's a flywheel key?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wilmar

The only reason why I know what a flywheel key is is because I am a cheapskate who has to fix his own mowers. 

When you run over a root with your push mower and it won't start up again but was running perfectly before - it is possibly your flywheel key got sheared in two.  It's to prevent further damage to your mower when you abuse it.  You have to get another "key" - actually a little aluminum? metal small little quarter inch rod that fits in somehow to flywheel of motor to perform its magic.  Kind of a sacrificial part to protect the expensive stuff. 

We need a sacrificial part that shears off at a set pressure to protect all our expensive stainless steel upgrades is my point. 

Chip

Wilmar

Gfish,
Also thanks for reply!   

That all makes sense. Yeah,  think I will go with fine threaded gear sleeve and star.   I will mull over a half tiburon frame for this 501 if putting it at risk with higher drag without it.  I have an itch to semi tank out this reel. 

Thanks again.  I appreciate the knowledge. 

Chip

xjchad

I doubt you'll ever see that happen with SS gears.
Aluminum, pot metal, and brass, yes. 

But that's why we upgrade to steel or SS. No worries of them stripping  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Wilmar

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

cmdrzog

Actually the proper term is flywheel key. Both the shear pin and the flywheel key serve a similar function but implement differently.  The key is inserted in a groove longitudinal to the shaft, the pin is inserted through a hole perpendicular to the shaft.
Lawnmower flywheel key, snow blower shear pin.

oc1

Quote from: Wilmar on March 17, 2020, 11:29:26 PM
We need a sacrificial part that shears off at a set pressure to protect all our expensive stainless steel upgrades is my point. 

No room for a fly wheel.  The drag protects the other components.
-steve

RowdyW

No need for sacrificial parts, shear pins, keys, flywheels, etc. Line breaks, problem solved.             Rudy

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on March 18, 2020, 09:26:48 AM
No need for sacrificial parts, shear pins, keys, flywheels, etc. Line breaks, problem solved.             Rudy

Yup!

I want to mention that there is are many grade of Stainless Steel, some softer than brass.
I have seen some earlier SS gear sleeve bend pretty bad.
ProChallenge uses 410 heat treated extremely tough and I believe so does Tom (Cortez Conversations)

There are some that don't like those for some reason or another, but the proof is in the pudding... as always.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brewcrafter

Whenever I go through old tackle boxes from estates, etc, it tells me a lot about the previous owner when I find a handful of shear pins in one of the slots.  Spinnerbaits and shear pins?  Guess this guy used to like fishing flooded timber...

Gfish

Got it, 'cept for the flywheel key on a reel. Got a shear pin on my elec. motor propeller and a vertical(longitudinal) plastic shaft on my kayak rudder that will(did once) shear under too much pressure.
Would the flywheel key be between the main gear and gear sleeve?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wilmar

Hey all,

I have next to no mechanical knowledge or skill so I really don't know where a shear pin would go in a reel - I was thinking maybe pinion gear to spool shaft somehow.  I think it would need to be a pretty expensive reel to justify a shear pin though.   This was just a idea, and I've got a ton of ideas....

My next idea will be to dream up a way to set star drags to preset drag weights - there has got to be a way!!

Thanks guys,  Chip 

RowdyW

Quote from: Wilmar on March 18, 2020, 11:13:41 PM

My next idea will be to dream up a way to set star drags to preset drag weights - there has got to be a way!!

Get a drag spring scale