White Perch!

Started by newport, March 18, 2020, 01:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Yesterday afternoon, my brother and I decided to go to the Bay for perch. He recently got honorably discharged from the Marine Corps, and was itching to do a bit of fishing. When we get there, it was windy and cold, unlike the spring-like weather when we left the house. The bite wasn't fantastic but still pretty good. I let him borrow my Stradic 4500 FJ, while I used my Akios 656 CTM. We used bloodworms for bait. I think, all in all, we caught more undersized stripers than perch. In fact, they were like trash fish (you don't hear them called that too often!). You couldn't really eat 'em, and they stole your bait for the targeted species you were after. After a few hours we called it a day, and left with a decent mess of fish.

xjchad

Nice haul, looks like a fun place to fish!
Tell your brother I said thank you for his service!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Decker

This is East Coast, right? NJ?  I'd like to take my kids out for a day of catching those, now that they are home from school.

newport

Thanks xjchad. I'll let him know.

Yep, it's Delaware Bay, NJ. They should be running everywhere--creeks, rivers, bays. Now's the time to get 'em!

Alto Mare

I will usually get two at a time on the northern Chesapeake around mid May.
Some yellow perch are mixed in as well.
Definitely a great day for the kids, my son still enjoys it and he's now 22.

Very nice!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

Interesting! People say they're good eating......but......they're considered an invasive species here in NE. They have ice fishing derbies & tournaments here specifically to rid the lakes of them that they've invaded.   :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 18, 2020, 03:06:02 AM
Interesting! People say they're good eating......but......they're considered an invasive species here in NE. They have ice fishing derbies & tournaments here specifically to rid the lakes of them that they've invaded.   :D
I was never crazy about them, always put them back.
My father in law, when he was still with us loved them,
I used to Tsushima a couple of dozen fir him.

You can catch as many as you want.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

You got a bunch,,,,great job man,,,,,,,, ;D

ReelFishingProblems

Headed out to fish the Potomac tomorrow afternoon. Mostly for peace of mind, but hopefully get a bite too

festus

White perch are considered invasive here too.  I've only seen one here in Tennessee in my life.  Plentiful in NorthCarolina.  Similar to yellow bass, they tend to overpopulate and have stunted growth.

Rivverrat

They look like they might be a killer bait ?

jgp12000

Funnie thing is in GA some folks call Crappie white perch? I say it "craaapy" my northern friends pronounce it "croppie"  I never seen those fish around these parts?

newport

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 18, 2020, 03:06:02 AM
Interesting! People say they're good eating......but......they're considered an invasive species here in NE. They have ice fishing derbies & tournaments here specifically to rid the lakes of them that they've invaded.   :D
They're prolific where ever they are. As far as eating, panfish are panfish. Not that much different, really. I just like catching 'em, because it's a short drive and the action can be fun.

Rivverrat, I'm sure they make good catfish bait, but would rather use less desirable, smelly fish like gizzard shad. That's one fish I won't eat.

newport

Jpg12000, I never heard crappie referred to as white perch, but I realize names can be regional. For instance, redfish can refer to several different species.