Jigmaster spools

Started by Maxed Out, March 19, 2020, 04:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Penn made many different spools for the jigmaster. Chrome, brushed stainless, polished stainless, plastic, and anodized aluminum. The red aluminum 500 spool is one we are all familiar with. The silver aluminum 500 spool is very elusive. It seems the silver spool was short lived, as it was the first version of jigmaster aluminum spool, followed by the red aluminum spool.

Finding a silver jigmaster 500 spool is like finding a needle in a haystack, but sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut. I think Bill(Tarfu) has a silver spool jigmaster in its original box. Maybe he can post a pic
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Gorgeous reels Ted!
I love all your creative combinations!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Darin Crofton

Beautiful reels, Ted! I bought a big box of Penn parts, reels, spools etc. one time for 60$, I've built four good JM's, 2 Squids and there's still tons of parts left. In the box was two of the red 500 spools in their boxes, one new and one barely used. Best deal on reels I've ever gotten. Btw there's two new Newell 145 spools in there too if you need one?
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Maxed Out

This would be the correct box for the jigmaster with silver aluminum spool. It's a standard jigmaster 500 box with 500L sticker stuck on

Bill B

You are correct Ted, I do have the silver spool in the box......is that my picture?  If not I can post when I get home tonight.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Hey Bill, I had the empty 500L box for a while now. The reel pictured with the box is just an example of what one woulda looked like. I stuck silver spool on a jiggy just for that picture

mo65

Great post Ted. I'm still searching for a silver Jiggy spool...have a few red...my best example is this near mint 500s. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Here's mine, got it from my dad who bought it new in the 70's ?  If you look at the second picture you can see these are 3 piece spools.  Bill

Sharkb8

I have 2 jigmaster reels with silver spools 1 black and 1 red which is the correct one or are they  both correct???

Kim

Sharkb8

There's one for sale vintage penn reels eBay Australia right now just letting you know ,It's not mine by the way.

Kim

Maxed Out

Quote from: Sharkb8 on March 20, 2020, 04:17:38 AM
I have 2 jigmaster reels with silver spools 1 black and 1 red which is the correct one or are they  both correct???

Kim

The dark red one is correct, but I like the looks of silver spool on your black one better. Nice set of reels Kim

Ted

Maxed Out

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 20, 2020, 12:17:35 AM
Here's mine, got it from my dad who bought it new in the 70's ?  If you look at the second picture you can see these are 3 piece spools.  Bill

Great family heirloom Bill !  Your box is super clean also.

I believe your dad's reel is around 1974ish

I notice same lines on the red jigmaster aluminum spool, so it must also be a 3 piece spool. Good eye !!

Ted

Sharkb8

Thanks for the info Ted

Kim

Bill B

Ted, I believe Mike C. commented on my reel but I cannot find the thread.  I think it was a 1 year release. Can't find the thread....maybe Mike will see and comment.   Bill

mhc

Tom posted some photos of a red 500 spool cut in half a few years back - they show how the red and silver anodized spools were made;

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.