Squidder 145 spool

Started by festus, March 20, 2020, 12:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I acquired this Penn Squidder 145 in a good deal in a box of Penn conventionals a couple years ago from Facebook.  Ebay sellers wanted over 50  bucks for a used aluminum spool for this model, and almost as much for a used bakelite spool, plus shipping.

Fred Oakes came to the rescue again, sent me this new old stock bakelite spool.  Thanks again, Fred.

One of my old Penn Delmars is full of braided dacron.  I'll borrow a generous layer of braided dacron for this bad boy then filler up with pink Ande 20 lb. mono. 

Anyone else have one of these Squidder 145?  If so, how do they cast?

jon_elc

i have one- it was my grandpa's...  it looks like he used it alot.  i recently rebuilt it with a stainless sleeve and new drag parts, since it was worn out from being cranked all the way down...  have only test-casted it so far.  the spool spins like crazy, super easy to birdsnest if you aren't carefulnor have an educated thumb,

I'm thinking about magging it.. but mot likely i'll use it for dropping down on rock cod, after we're allowed to get out again... so casting and backlash wouldn't be a problem for my use.

crank handle and eva knob from prochallenger..

Decker

I like the 145 a lot for surfcasting.  You can put the 30-66 stainless base on it.  The width is a good balance for distance-casting, balance, and manageability.  I want to try casting braid with it on a heaver rod.  Haven't magged one yet but it's not hard to do.

Keep an eye out for a bargain aluminum spool on eB.  Maybe set up an alert.  They will come.   Pretty sure I've picked up one or two for $15-25.  A lot of people don't know what to call the mid size Squidders and Jigmasters, so sometimes they are mislabeled, which helps keep the bidding price down. ;)

Darin Crofton

Hey Festus I have two newell 145 spools that I got in a deal awhile back of a box full of penn parts, if you want one send me a pm with your info, it's on me buddy!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Decker

Quote from: Darin Crofton on March 25, 2020, 02:57:34 AM
Hey Festus I have two newell 145 spools that I got in a deal awhile back of a box full of penn parts, if you want one send me a pm with your info, it's on me buddy!

Sweet!   

oc1

Quote from: jon_elc on March 25, 2020, 12:04:42 AM
I'm thinking about magging it.
I magged mine and ran out of room under the hood.  It is just about there but needs a few more small wafers
-steve

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on March 25, 2020, 05:23:44 AM
I magged mine and ran out of room under the hood.  It is just about there but needs a few more small wafers
-steve

How many you got in there, Steve?  What are you throwing?

Rancanfish

I've got two Surfy 150's.  Great little reels.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

festus

Thanks for the generous offer, Darin.

A few days ago one of our members said that some of the Newell spools, base, and bars for a Penn 145 aren't the same width as stock Penn parts.  I don't have any idea about this, but which type of wheel do your Newells have on the clicker side?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 25, 2020, 05:28:15 PM
Quote from: festus on March 25, 2020, 05:17:26 PM

Thanks for the generous offer, Darin.

A few days ago one of our members said that some of the Newell spools, base, and bars for a Penn 145 aren't the same width as stock Penn parts.  I don't have any idea about this, but which type of wheel do your Newells have on the clicker side?

All that I have noticed about Newell spool is that the shaft is just a little thicker.
Usually when you remove the spool, the bearing gets hung up in the shaft.
It will still work though.
You could fine tune it a little if you wanted to by sanding the shaft a little
The 150 is a great size, I have Surfmasters and Squidders in that size I use and really like them.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Wait, to clarify, the mid-size Squidder is the 145.  Mid-size Surfmaster is the 150.  The spool shafts are different.  The Squidder spool shafts are longer.

I've never had any problem with Newell spools on my Squidders.  Festus, I don't believe that different clicker gear makes a difference - it fits.

This is a 145 Newell spool.  Note the long shaft on the gear (right) side:

Darin Crofton

These are most def newell 145 spools, here you go bud:
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Gfish

I have an old 146. Makes alot of hissing noise when I cast, which I thought was the bearings, but starting to wonder if it's due in part to the fins on the Newell spool. Stacked 3 sets of 2-non-ss washers on the tail-plate, covered them with epoxy(prevent corrosion) and each stack has 3~3/8"dia. neodymium magnets on top. It casts 1-4 oz jigs/50lb.braid/ a little thumb control, so well I'm surprised.
Good on ya Darin!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

I've never had one of the spools with that hexagon looking click wheel. I'm assuming it has a slower click...like a longer pause between clicks?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on March 25, 2020, 08:02:19 PM
   I've never had one of the spools with that hexagon looking click wheel. I'm assuming it has a slower click...like a longer pause between clicks?

That's what I was thinking Mo.  Less line pressure.  Might be nice for still water catfishing  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman