2020 Rod Project Completed

Started by Midway Tommy, March 21, 2020, 06:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Well, I got my January decision to build out all my blank stash completed just in time for spring fishing. I ended up building nine total. I wanted a couple more ULs and I had all the other components so I purchased a couple of PacBay Arctos UL blanks. I read a couple of reviews that said they were kind of ugly but I thought how ugly can a metalic brown blank be? Ha! They're pretty darn ugly!  :o They came flat metalic brown. Once I built them out I gave the rod portion two coats of Penetrol and that gave them a nice satin finish that looks pretty good. I think the whole bunch actually turned out pretty decent. I used Fuji SIC guides on all of them.

Here's the specs:
5'-3" Arctos 2-6# UL/Fast
5'-6" Arctos 4-8# UL/Fast
6'-0" XML 4-10# Light/Fast
6'-0" XML 4-10# Light/Fast
6'-0" XML 6-12# Medium Light/Fast
6'-0" Fish Eagle II 8-17# Medium/Fast
6'-0" Fish Eagle II 8-17# Medium/Fast
6'-8" St Croix Avid 10-17# Medium/Fast
6'-8" St Croix Avid 10-17# Medium/Fast

Here's some photos: I'm currently giving the cork grips two coats of Penetrol for a good seal and protectant :

While I had my wrapping stuff out I decided to rewrap this old 2 piece South Bend Fast Lock. I even added a diamond wrap that wasn't originally there. The painted blank is pretty worn so I just gave it a fine sanding and added a few coats of rod varnish over the old original wear. It was my first spinning rod and was coupled with a Garcia Mitchell 304 back in the day. It saw a lot of use in the late '60s & early '70s and had been repaired and seen a lot of nail polish many times over the years.  :)

Here's before and after photos:

Now back to reels. I picked up these three sweeties, ABU Garcia C3s, at a Flea Market/Swap Meet a couple of weeks ago for $15 each. Perfect timing for those two Arctos ULs.  ;D

Below are couple of enlargeable rod pics.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

really nice rods Tommy congrats for reaching your goal for 2020.

can you tell me how those reel seats work ?
they look pretty minimalist and super light
The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

Place the reel where you want it on the cork grip (usually towards the top of the handel) - then slide a ring onto each side of the foot. Simple and pretty foolproof. These kind of fittings are very common for European rods of all freshwater types.

Sharkb8

Nice work Tommy they look good

Kim

Donnyboat

A lot of work there Tommy, well done, Chris thanks for the report, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

philaroman

how do those Arctos feel compared to FE-II & older PacBay IM-6?
UGLY IS GOOD -- too ugly to steal is BEST!!!  (urban angler, LOL)
thanks

festus

Great fleet, Tommy!  When I was a young kid Tennessee handles were practically all I saw around here. Then in the early 1960s fixed reel seats took over.

mo65

Yes sir...Tennessee handles...they were big around here too. Great looking work Tom! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: steelfish on March 21, 2020, 07:11:03 AM
really nice rods Tommy congrats for reaching your goal for 2020.

can you tell me how those reel seats work ?
they look pretty minimalist and super light

They are minimal, that's why I like them and the only grip I'll use on a freshwater rod. You can perfectly balance your outfit by positioning the reel where ever you want. Those rings are aluminum, but they also make graphite rings, which are lighter but a little bulkier. I don't like the graphite rings because I have trouble getting them to bite into the cork and remain tight. The aluminum rings are at least twice, and maybe even three times, as heavy as the aluminum hood on a standard freshwater spinning reel seat. These have a raised flat area that slides over the reel foot. I don't use rod holders while boat fishing/trolling. We hold our rods so having a long extension behind the reel is actually a hindrance.

Phil,

I don't know about the rods you mention unless they made the same things under the Cabela's brand. Most of my previous builds, and these XMLs & Fish Eagles, have been on Cabela's blanks. I have six St. Croix Avids and Legend Elites, though. These two Arctos feel like they are going to be pretty nice rods, and the price was very right. I got them for $37 & $39, $76 total shipped to my door from Hook & Hackle. It's hard to beat that price on a decent brand graphite blank!  ;)  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Darin Crofton

Great job on those rods, they look great!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Terrific skills and work, Tom!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Very nice job Tommy! They may have looked pretty damn ugly when you got them, but they sure look nice now.
I have a 6 lb test Fenwick with the same seat, actually mine is a little longer for the fly or spinner reels, spinner on the top part, fly at the base....simple and effective.
You kept busy...labor of love :)
Thanks for sharing,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

Why would anybody need that many fishing poles?  Ha Ha.  Nice job Tommy.
-steve

Swami805

Looking good!  Always good to have back ups
Do what you can with that you have where you are