Spiral Wrap 2 Piece Moocher

Started by Newell Nut, March 23, 2020, 03:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I have a special friend who wanted a special salmon rod and here it is. 9ft super seeker moocher two piece with fuji SICs  sprial wrapped.
https://oi1282.photobucket.com/albums/a526/dwebb49/MikeSen2%201_zpscch8fdzw.jpg

https://oi1282.photobucket.com/albums/a526/dwebb49/MikeSen2%203_zps6fmwbszg.jpg

Hardy Boy

Mr Nut: looks great, turned out nice ! Now it only needs to be at least 10.5 feet to be a mooching rod .................................. eh ?? Oh and put one of those reels on that Peaches loves so much !! ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Alto Mare

Nice rod as usual  Dwight! Always a great job... nice bend.
Did I count eleven eyes on there?
He's going to love it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Beautiful rod, Dwight --

Good pairing with the Seeker blank, spiral pattern, 9', 11 guides, and of course -- a Newell!

Great Moocher!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2020, 03:36:18 PM
Nice rod as usual  Dwight! Always a great job... nice bend.
Did I count eleven eyes on there?
He's going to love it!

Sal

4 guides on bottom section and 6 on the top.

steelfish

beatiful rod as always compadre.

really clean and smooth

liking the transition guides on the 1st section
The Baja Guy

philaroman

awesome you did this
I have a 10' mod/fast Steelhead that's just awful, unless I flip it & reel backwards
the tip section is absolutely perfect for my needs, as is, as long as the guides are pointing down
I want to convert the rod to spiral, leaving the tip section unchanged
how important is it to "complete the 180 rotation" on the butt section?
i.e., can the first guide on the tip section be the first "fully down" guide, or would that be structurally unsound?

Newell Nut

Quote from: philaroman on March 23, 2020, 07:17:13 PM
awesome you did this
I have a 10' mod/fast Steelhead that's just awful, unless I flip it & reel backwards
the tip section is absolutely perfect for my needs, as is, as long as the guides are pointing down
i.e., can the first guide on the tip section be the first "fully down" guide, or would that be structurally unsound?

If you do not do the full transition and one bottom guide on the lower section then you will get a lot of twisting torque in the rod joint which may move or break. Fenwick actually made some of these a long time ago and they did exactly what I had layed out on mine.

Rivverrat

Like your acid guide lay out. I see so many people do an acid / spiral wrapped rod & the guide lay out makes no sense fro a two pc. blank... Jeff

philaroman

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 23, 2020, 07:22:13 PM
awesome you did this

If you do not do the full transition and one bottom guide on the lower section then you will get a lot of twisting torque in the rod joint which may move or break. Fenwick actually made some of these a long time ago and they did exactly what I had layed out on mine.

OMG -- I feel so stupid (where's that hammer-to-head emogi)
of course, the two guides on either side of the ferrule must be aligned
I probably shouldn't "scramble for more room", anyway, considering
how closely you put the transition guides on a more moderate 9-footer,
but stupid novice ideas like company, so here's another one:
what if the reel/seat on an acid-wrap were slightly canted toward the blank (like a spinner),
so the stripper guide can be smaller and/or closer?

Newell Nut

Quote from: philaroman on March 23, 2020, 10:11:26 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on March 23, 2020, 07:22:13 PM
awesome you did this

Keep the reel seat square, go out about 15 inches and cant the stripper to the left slightly space the others about 5.5 inches and see if you get 4 guides on the bottom section. Alex has one of those Fenwick rods and the stripper was 13 inches from the seat.

OMG -- I feel so stupid (where's that hammer-to-head emogi)
of course, the two guides on either side of the ferrule must be aligned
I probably shouldn't "scramble for more room", anyway, considering
how closely you put the transition guides on a more moderate 9-footer,
what if the reel/seat on an acid-wrap were slightly canted toward the blank (like a spinner),

steelfish

Quote from: philaroman on March 23, 2020, 10:11:26 PM

there is no stupid questions on rod building (imagine how they laughted when they saw the 1st spiral wrapped rod).
anyway, you can start backwards on your rod, start with the last of the guides on the bottom section of the blank which is the 1st guide totally in 180*, then put with masking tape the next guide towards the reelseat, at "lets say" 130*, then the next one at 45* and last the stripper guide at 0*
check how far is the stripper guide from the reelseat and adjust the space between the guides, do a curve test on the rod to check how the line goes from the stripper to the rest of the transition guides and adjust the space between the stripper and 1st bumper guide, there is nothing wrong is the bumper doesnt follow the "standar" spacing between rod guides the goal is to have a smooth curve with the line when the rod is stressed or bent (figthing a fish).

as Dwight just said, I have a fenwick salmon rod on which the stripper guide is at 13" from the reelseat and the rest of transition guides are spaced 4" from each until having one at 180* which is the last one of the bottom section of the rod.

I rebuilt a factory musky rod and made it spiral wrapped, the bumper guide NEEDED to be closer to the striper guide in order to have a smooth curve with the fishing line on the static test, looks kind of funky for some guys but it performs better that way than wrapping the bumper guide following a standar spacing formula.

this is the acid rod I wrapped few years ago
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22222.0

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

sweet rod.  That think cold lift a nice halibut too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Very nice rod, I'm sure he'll love it. Did the blank come two piece or did you cut it and install a ferrule?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

Mine is a two piece seeker blank.

Dwight