Daiwa 7500 warped rotor

Started by kiwiretzev, March 26, 2020, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwiretzev

Hi all,

I picked up the following reel from a flea market the other week, and half way through a strip down of the reel, I heard  a slight grinding noise coming from the rotor area.
Although the grinding noise isn't loud, its still a grinding noise and Im not ok with that.

I quite Daiwas, and I rate the larger specimens right up there with my old DAM 550s and Alvey reels for when Im surf fishing. This smaller model isn't destined for the surf.

Upon further inspection (i.e. getting my glasses out so this 48 year old can actually see), I  noticed that the rotor seems to have a slight warp, and paint has been stripped from where the rotor meets the spool. My digital calipers have  also  confirmed this.

So tell me, what options do I have for fixing? I don't really want to involve hammers..

Thanks
Paul

???

mo65

I would think a couple of pecks with a hammer would fix that real quick. Maybe tape a piece of cardboard on to keep from dinging it, and tap lightly until it moves.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

alantani

yeah, i think you'll have to hammer this one out.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

If it was mine -- just support the outside of the rotor over a slot cut in a 2X4 chunk of wood -- after protective taping it -- lay a round 1" galvanized pipe against the inside of the rotor where the dent is -- and just tap it out with a hammer against the top side of the pipe. 

So you will achieve a curve -- without ruining the rotor.  (Old body shop trick).

Only takes a few minutes -- the rotor is soft aluminum -- and not much else is required except a few well placed solid blows with a hammer.

Or, get another rotor...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on March 26, 2020, 03:00:30 PM
If it was mine -- just support the outside of the rotor over a slot cut in a 2X4 chunk of wood -- after protective taping it -- lay a round 1" galvanized pipe against the inside of the rotor where the dent is -- and just tap it out with a hammer against the top side of the pipe. 

So you will achieve a curve -- without ruining the rotor.  (Old body shop trick).

Only takes a few minutes -- the rotor is soft aluminum -- and not much else is required except a few well placed solid blows with a hammer.

Or, get another rotor...

Best,

Fred

Quotelay a round 1" galvanized pipe against the inside of the rotor where the dent is

Fred is spot on. Finding a pipe just under, but as close to, the ID of the rotor is even better. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

kiwiretzev

Well thanks all. That seemed to do it.
The rotor is a lot softer than I thought, as I didn't hit it that hard at all!

kiwiretzev

When it comes to handles, this one looks a bit worse for wear! Ive been turning it with a screwdriver, but its not going anywhere..

Id love to be able to use this reel and was wondering if I could perhaps add another handle from another reel? Not sure if it would have to be a
Daiwa or not?

foakes

Hi Paul --

Let us know if you need the maroon plastic knob and the knob screw -- or the aluminum crank arm also.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kiwiretzev

Hi Fred. You have been very helpful to date. I appreciate that.
I see you're also a DAM man, so will probably get you to sell me a few parts also (after this 4 week shut down)
Will message you.

Thanks
Paul