Newell G 220-F

Started by Alto Mare, March 31, 2020, 12:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Got this gorgeous first edition G220-F

If you look, I haven't been talking about Newell reels for the past 11 years.
That might not necessarily be I don't like them. :)

Thanks again Dwight...love the reel!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

My first thought was whatttttt...I didn't recall seeing any Newell's in your cave!!!!! Second thought, what a sweet one you got there! Nice, Newell Nut!

I have tried to resist the Newell bug- only have two. But probably a matter of time.

mo65

I don't have any Newells yet...but I've certainly slobbered over them for years. That 220 is the model I like most Sal...that one is spotless! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

That's a beauty, I've always thought the early G's were the best Newell produced, hope you fish it Sal,it will make it hard to go back to a squidder. Very nice gift,Ohana at it's best!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mhc

Nice reel Sal, like Mo and Sheridan said it's a very popular size and coming from Dwight it will be perfect.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Bryan Young

That's a great reel!  You'll love how it casts.  If you don't want to cast that one, 'cause it's new first Gen, I'll send you a used ??? generation.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Bri-Bri, I do have a 220 already and love it! But thank you just the same.

and a little tease....

The ss spacers, titanium handle and star were installed by me. It came with the black aluminum drilled bars and stand.
Dwight sent me this one about 5 years ago, we usually go back and forth with reels.

By the way, these were not gifts, well from what he usually charges me they could be.
We try to keep everything nice and charge each other.
Dwight is a very good friend, we've been communicating for some time now.

I was asking questions about different Newell models, who else would give you better answers than the "Newel Nut" himself :).
this is when the first edition pic came up and I said I need to have it.
That reel was in his collection, but he let it go and at a very good price.

One day I will post some pics of my Newell collection, but I'm still deciding if I want to display them or keep then in their boxes.
If I do display them I need to make some type of cabinet to keep the dust out, unless I find a nice unit on CL.

Thanks for looking and i'm glad you like them.

Carl was a smart man....
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Thanks, Sal.  How about one of Ted's narrow stands on that one?

MarkT

Very nice! That's not a first edition 220 but it looks to be an early G which is probably what you meant.  G's were the best of the Newell series!  Does it have the P gears in it with a recess under the main for another washer?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Newell Nut

The first Gs had the red labels. I have a first year G 338 which is my go to reel for up in the water action for kings or mangos. The gears are not 4 stack in the Gs. I have a bunch of early Gs with with the P clicker and jack, large bearings cups. The ones with the P clicker had graphite spools with metal sprocket for the SS clicker pawl.

I'm not racist. I have a bunch Penns too and some Sal built. ;D ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: MarkT on March 31, 2020, 04:51:28 PM
Very nice! That's not a first edition 220 but it looks to be an early G which is probably what you meant.  G's were the best of the Newell series!  Does it have the P gears in it with a recess under the main for another washer?
You probably have a nice stash Mark... Show some, I would love to see them.

Sal

Bryan Young

Quote from: MarkT on March 31, 2020, 04:51:28 PM
Hi Mark, I believe Sal mentioned that it was the first edition of the G220 not the first 220. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

It does have the graphite handle with the stainless jack from the P.  I had one like that! The real early G's had the P handle and the P gears too.   Reel man sent it to me about 30 years ago.  I ended up trading it for a ProGear 255. I missed it so bought another one which I also ended up trading.  I'm currently Newell free!  I caught my first Yellowtail on a G332 on a surface iron.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Love the 220 size. Mine is on the left and my sons is on the right. I rarely fish mine as it sits on a Seeker BlackSteel 196-8 with 15 lb test waiting for the time when we only have anchovies for bait. Though every once in a while I take it out for the 3 B's.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Decker on March 31, 2020, 04:22:19 PM
Thanks, Sal.  How about one of Ted's narrow stands on that one?

That would look great! I have a few of his stands, but do not have one of the same in black.

Sal