new YT killer weapon, newell c533 5.5 with tib frame

Started by steelfish, March 31, 2020, 07:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, traded my stock 533 and f447 (both reels needed lots of TLC and few parts) for a ready for action c533 5.5 with tiburon frame and CF drag with my compadre Dwight.
pretty happy with the trade cuz this reel came already with the magical touch of the newellnut so, this reel is in the best shape possible, I already had an extra SS handle blade from Alan the Boss and a special handle knob made by my "compa" Sal, that knob looks like it was made with the black and chrome scheme of the newell reel in mind, looks perfect on it, that reel became already on a "never for sell" one.
looking forward to try it on a Yellowtail or Leopard grouper this late spring and summer.

stock 533 reel with Tib frame ready for action

my First upgrade for it and one of the best upgrades for any reel, a SS handle and bigger knob
once again, handle SS blade from the Boss Alan and handle knob specially made by Sal (loved it compadre) its really comfortable.

and the reel looks and should perform 3x better on a nice fish.
I installed the handle on the middle hole and will try it like that if necesary I still have chance to moved one space to make it shorter or larger depending on how it feel for casting and figthing a fish.

The Baja Guy

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

Gorgeous reel Alex, I forgot all about that handle.
I have that same reel headed my way, one black and one red.
The red one has 4.6 ratio...should be here by Thursday.
Where did the kit come from? I won't be able to put it on mine, those are new with box, but one day I will grab a used one and have it as yours with a different handle of course, yours needs to be one of a kind.

It is really a gorgeous reel, enjoy it buddy!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 31, 2020, 08:17:40 PM

Where did the kit come from? I won't be able to put it on mine, those are new with box
Sal

kit came already installed on the reel but you can get them directly from tiburon

thanks again for the handle knob, I was saving it for special reel and few months later finally found its place.
The Baja Guy

JK47

I tried ordering a 533 kit from Tiburon a few months ago and they were out of stock in black. Thanks for reminding me that I should check back with them, awesome reel you have there!!!

Darin Crofton

Beautiful reel buddy and Sal's masterpiece looks awesome on there!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Swami805

Nice one Alex,that handle really sets it off. I'm sure you'll enjoy it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on April 01, 2020, 12:28:42 AM
Nice one Alex,that handle really sets it off. I'm sure you'll enjoy it

yep, and no worries on rounding the hole on the handle... ever !!

The Baja Guy

steelfish

the reel was with 3 cabontex drag washers that gave a smooth 14# drag, just installed 5+1 drags and now it reach bit more than 22# and still place to tighten the star more with you want to go FULL

thats just pulling the line from the reel, where the correct way should be installing the reel on a rod and pulling on the scale with the line attached to it, I would have hard time to pull more than 22# that way  ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

Porthos

Quote from: steelfish on May 27, 2021, 01:22:51 AM...thats just pulling the line from the reel, where the correct way should be installing the reel on a rod and pulling on the scale with the line attached to it, I would have hard time to pull more than 22# that way  ;D ;D

Yes, the length of the rod will affect how much leverage a hooked fish has. If you fight the fish slowpitch style, then the rod has minimal affect, and it's just the reel's 22 lbs of drag.