Penn 114H Side Plate question

Started by Fishermans Paradise, November 30, 2011, 02:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishermans Paradise

Recently I received via donation, several older penn reels.  My goal is to return all reels to excellent working order and "re-donate" them to a local outfit that takes wounded veterans fishing for free.  It is a great service they offer to our servicemen and women and the fishing trips have proven to be very theraputic to our vets who have shown measurable improvement in their emotional state.  My question is about an older Penn 114H.  is is the older model that allows the drag stack to be changed by simply removing the handle and star wheel.  No need to remove the side plate to access the drag stack.  The sideplate on this reel has a small crack and I would like to replace it, but expect a problem finding the same style plate.  Does anyone know of any anticipated problems if I attempt to replace it with a newer 114H sideplate?  Any input you folks have is greatly appreciated !

Lee

redsetta

That's a great plan Lee - good on ya.
Depending on the model and spool, you may only need to drop three parts (#86, 140 and 136) from the drag stack.
You may also need to update the right side plate bearing to a ball bearing (and housing).
One of our resident Penn experts will no doubt be able to tell you which model/version of side plate will best suit your purposes.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

Lee -
You should be okay with a new sideplate with the enclosed drag washer stack. The only other part you will need is a new spacing sleeve (#9-114H) and a spring disc (belleville washer #18-114H). Have you looked at www.mysticparts.com ? They only list one right sideplate for all of the USA 114H versions, the 1-114H. Call them and they should be able to answer your question for sure, but all of your other parts should move right over.
Good luck and thanks for supporting the wounded warriors.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

a new style side plate is fine.  they are all plug and play.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishermans Paradise

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your input, decided to order both sideplates for this one just for aesthetics, color match etc.  I have already swapped out the drags and gone with the 5 stack thanks to our friend Dawn.  Looking forward to getting this one done, in total, looks like the vets charter service is getting a 113h, 114h, 500 jigmaster, (2) 49 master mariners, and 2 704z spinners, and rods to use with each.  Gonna be a nice little christmas present for the good folks over there and I will be anxious to see them in use next spring !  Thanks again for the info guys !