Some of You Will Understand This -- Quality Screwdrivers

Started by foakes, April 03, 2020, 12:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I have a large set of Brownell's fixed-blade screwdrivers that are dedicated to my amateur gunsmithing projects and firearms maintenance.

I was never able to justify having an extra set for my reel mechanic and service work.  And quite frankly, of the 24 Brownell's screwdrivers I have -- only 3 or 4 were ever used regularly.

So this set of Bald Eagle fixed blade screwdrivers was available last week from Grizzly.  Used to be $25.  On sale for $13.95.  Closeout priced at $10.97!

I had never handled one of these drivers in person -- and doubted that they could be as good as the Brownells that cost over $300.

So I took a chance and ordered a set.  Problem was, me being cheap, the shipping was $10.95 -- or free if my order was $40, or more.  So I ordered (4) sets.

Surprise -- when looking at the specs -- hardened to RC58-60, magnetic, hollow ground blades, very good and comfortable grip, excellent control -- they were as good or better than Brownell's.  

Plus, every time I would go to Brownell's to order these (6) needed sizes -- they were always on back-order for the last 18 months.

When they arrived -- I believe whatever firm makes the Brownell's -- also makes these with just a different brand label.

They even fit the tiny slot on a Shakespeare 2052 Microlight old maroon spinner.

I sent a set to a friend, and will keep 3 sets for myself -- inside shop, outer shop, and the RV.

Do not know how much longer they will be available -- but I highly recommend ordering a set if this type of tool is important to you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bhale1

Cor

Quote from: foakes on April 03, 2020, 12:21:14 AM

When they arrived -- I believe whatever firm makes the Brownell's -- also makes these with just a different brand label.

Best,

Fred

I had a good giggle because I often say that to my wife and she then starts a whole discussion why a manufacturer would never do that, whereas I know they do and it often just makes good business sense. ;D

Looks like you got yourself a very good deal, enjoy them!
Cornelis

Brewcrafter

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

sharkman

foakes

One set in the upstairs shop, one set in the second shop, one set in the service/repair go-bag that is always on every fishing trip, and one set given away.

Since last night, (7) members have emailed to let me know that they ordered a set, or two.  (3) members that I know of have ordered (4) sets.

Maybe if enough are ordered -- they won't be discontinued.  But who knows?  No guarantees...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

xjchad

Fred,
Thank you for the heads up on this set!
I have a good screwdriver already, so I can't justify buying these, but if I didn't, I'd definitely order one!
Good screwdrivers are worth their weight in gold and this is a great deal!

Thank you Fred for always giving us great reviews and taking the time to share your wisdom, thoughts, and opinions with us!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 03, 2020, 05:04:24 PM
Got 4.  PITB to ck. out though.

Maybe things have changed? -- since I ordered them last week, Randy --

Only took me maybe 3 minutes -- items arrived with free shipping on (4) sets within 5 days -- and there was a weekend in there.

Grizzly is a solid, top quality company -- without issues.

Their website and tracking are up there with the best -- and they appreciate your business.

I have done business with them for many years -- and never an issue.

You guys should get their free printed catalog (remember Sears Roebuck?) and also their emails -- you will not be sorry.  Their catalog is fully online & easily navigated with no clunkiness.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

I agree Fred!
A catalog from them is a must, it is huge, almost 750 pages.
I do enjoy shopping there as well, a good company to deal with.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jurelometer

Sent in my order today. 

For other things to consider adding to the order to get over the free shipping minimum:

There are big discounts on ultrasonic cleaners.  The 3/4 liter is only $26.   Don't know if they are any good:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bald-Eagle-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-0-75-Liter/BE1163

6 inch digital calipers can be had for as low as USD $10-  Two pair for $30 is not a bad price if the Bald Eagle quality control is decent.   They all look the same, but the reseller has to pay a bit more if they want stricter quality controls from the factory.  I normally have to check out about half a dozen units at my local Harbor Fright to find a one that does not lose a couple thou by opening 5 inch and then closing. 

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bald-Eagle-6-Precision-Caliper-Set-of-2/BE1227X2

Hex bit magnetized mini screwdriver handle from Smith and Wesson.  At 45 cents,  buy a couple dozen, and be generous to all your friends!

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Smith-Wesson-Mag-Tip-Screwdriver-for-Tool-Chest/T24196

Thanks again Fred!

-J

xjchad

Quote from: jurelometer on April 03, 2020, 10:02:44 PM
Sent in my order today. 

For other things to consider adding to the order to get over the free shipping minimum:

There are big discounts on ultrasonic cleaners.  The 3/4 liter is only $26.   Don't know if they are any good:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bald-Eagle-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-0-75-Liter/BE1163

6 inch digital calipers can be had for as low as USD $10-  Two pair for $30 is not a bad price if the Bald Eagle quality control is decent.   They all look the same, but the reseller has to pay a bit more if they want stricter quality controls from the factory.  I normally have to check out about half a dozen units at my local Harbor Fright to find a one that does not lose a couple thou by opening 5 inch and then closing. 

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bald-Eagle-6-Precision-Caliper-Set-of-2/BE1227X2

Hex bit magnetized mini screwdriver handle from Smith and Wesson.  At 45 cents,  buy a couple dozen, and be generous to all your friends!

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Smith-Wesson-Mag-Tip-Screwdriver-for-Tool-Chest/T24196

Thanks again Fred!

-J

I've been wanting to get an ultrasonic cleaner for some time now, especially for the small parts, so I went ahead and ordered one of these.
Thanks for the heads up!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Just got the latest Grizzly Sale Brochure in the mail today.

Some of their stuff is not competitive, a little over-priced compared to others -- such as the Milwaukee tools compared to Home Depot.  Other things they offer -- no one else offers.  And some of the things they offer are real solid values.

The 6 piece gunsmithing screwdriver fixed blade hollow ground set is on sale once again for $10.97!

These are the same as Brownells -- and they are the most common and used sizes for reel work and gunsmithing.

Last time they were on sale -- I bought (4) sets.  One for the upstairs shop, outside shop, the mobile reel repair/servicing go-bag, and one I gave to a member.

I have found these to be extraordinary tools for reel work.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.