Some of You Will Understand This -- Quality Screwdrivers

Started by foakes, April 03, 2020, 12:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

smnaguwa

Thanks for the info Fred. How did you get the free shipping? I tried last night and shipping was $9.99. Is there a coupon? Thanks.

foakes

Quote from: smnaguwa on June 19, 2020, 02:09:45 PM
Thanks for the info Fred. How did you get the free shipping? I tried last night and shipping was $9.99. Is there a coupon? Thanks.

Good Morning, Stan --

Good question!

Shipping is just part of the convenience that allows us to purchase items online --

Even at $9.99 for shipping -- these are a bargain.

However, that is why I ordered (4) sets -- the minimum amount for free shipping to qualify was $40.  So you just game the system by figuring out other things you might need from Grizzly's 750 page catalog -- which is online, as well as a printed version for the bathroom. 

Or pay the $9.99 -- but I would find additional items to order.

Set up an account with Grizzly -- it is free.  Get their catalog.  Also call their customer service for any questions, coupons, specials, or guidance when ordering.  They are pleasant, knowledgeable, and very responsive.

The internet, reliable and fast shipping, and solid online firms -- are what allow us to enjoy our reel work and passion for our hobbies even more than ever before.  Just part of the deal.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kjdunne

Just ordered a set of the gunsmithing screwdrivers from Grizzly, thanks for the heads up!
Did not find JIS phillips style screwdrivers in the online catalog, what's a good source for them?  What are common sizes for reels?

Thanks, Kal

foakes

Hi Kal --

A Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) Screwdriver will work with regular Phillips screws without stripping out the head of the screw.

However, a typical Phillips screwdriver that is not JIS will seldom work on a JIS screw without damaging or ruining the screw head.

For reel work, only 2 or 3 sizes are ever needed.  Lots of sources around.  Plenty of companies and brands.

I use Vessels -- and also Wiha -- but a little comparison shopping will be useful. 

I use the JIS for most Phillips -- from vehicles (Toyota & a Subaru), electronics, carbs, computers, etc..

Products made in China, as a rule, will benefit from using JIS screwdrivers -- but are generally not JIS screws (just the cheapest bulk they can source).  JIS screws are typically marked with a dot -- and are more expensive -- and are generally found in higher quality products.  My Honda mower, for example, and others.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kjdunne

foakes

Yeah, that would work -- and I also use a #3 for other projects that are a little larger than reels.

Lots of very good quality drivers out there today.

Figure out your sizes, your company choice based on reviews, then shop a few sources for the best value for what you need.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

MarkT

No free shipping that I could see!  Maybe it was only for a limited time.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

Quote from: MarkT on June 19, 2020, 05:29:09 PM
No free shipping that I could see!  Maybe it was only for a limited time.

Yes, that was a promotion during March & April, Mark --

There is a shipping charge now.

Many things we buy on Amazon Prime -- have "free shipping" also.

However, if you look closely at the prices -- they are often increased enough to pay for the "free shipping".

Generally, we will go directly to the retailer, or Wal-Mart, Home Depot, LL Bean, Lands End, etc. -- to get a lower price with either free shipping if offered -- or a lower overall $$$ outlay for the product and the shipping.

Then we need to decide if the wait that sometimes occurs with retailers who are not geared up for shipping and tracking swiftly, like Amazon -- is worth it, or not.

Sometimes, we wait for a free shipping promotion -- instead of buying now -- and about half the time the item we want is still there and on sale -- the other half of the time -- the price has gone back to retail, or the item is sold out.  That is the chance we take.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

MarkT

Me too.  Free shipping with Prime isn't always a good deal.  I've bought small items where the shipping was more then the price of the item. I saw something I wanted that was $30+$30 for shipping... I just said no.  If I want something from a store that's 30 miles away and my truck gets 16 mpg I have to factor in the 4 gallons of gas and often just order it and pay the shipping.  Ya know, there's no free lunch.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rancanfish

Yep, words of wisdom Mark.  That gas pedal costs money every time we push it.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

El Pescador

My package of the Grizzly 6-piece Gunsmithing Screwdriver Sets arrived last night.

Excellent quality for $10.95 for sure,

I have NEVER used a Gunsmith style screwdriver, so let's see how it works.

I grabbed my Penn 349H reel, and my first screwdriver selection was the perfect fit.  And what I mean by perfect fit is just ZERO SLOP, no screwdriver tip movement in the screw slot.  WOW!!!!!   Where have these tools been for me in the past????  Again, I've heard of Gunsmith screwdrivers, BUTT have never spent the time to investigate just how great they are to use.

The 0.030" tip screwdriver was THE perfect fit.   It REELY was!!!!!!

The fit was SO TIGHT, I would love to use an often said statement by my Dad, BUTT here the Moderators would shut me down.   Love you Dad!!!!

Dominick, you are going to love using these screwdrivers when your set arrives!!!!! ;D

THANK YOU Fred for the suggestion to each purchase a set.  Man, the craftsman screwdrivers that my parents gave me for my 15th birthday just might be retired to the tool bin.   Just might.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

Craftsman screwdrivers are excellent tools, and have their place, Wayne --

For me, that is general mechanical work such as vehicles, equipment, household tasks, carpenter work, etc..

The difference with these gunsmithing, fixed blade, hollow ground drivers is that they won't goober up a screwhead -- and you have a better chance of removing a toughly bonded screw with no slot damage or slippage.

This is important to me when working on my own reels -- but particularly for someone else who has entrusted me to service and restore their reels for them.  We have all seen and acquired reels with messed up screw slots.  Wrong drivers, inexperience, over-confidence, in a hurry, amateur hour, etc.

First time I realized this was around 40+ years ago -- I acquired an old Savage O/U double with a .22 topside -- and .410 under.  Went to remove a few screws for a cleaning and inspection -- messed up every screw I touched. 

Pros like gunsmiths, watchmakers, and antique restorers -- take pride in their work.  And we should do the same with our reels.

There is a great amount of satisfaction, at least for me -- in doing the job right.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Ron Jones

The hollow ground, parallel sides is the trick. It provides significantly more surface engagement. This also lets the tips be heat treated with more toughness and less hardness as all that surface area increases the chance of movement before damage. I've busted the tips of several high quality flat ground screwdrivers, only time I've done that with parallel sides is when using an impact. Whatever the grind, an impact will eventually wipe out a bit.
Tha Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"