Diamond in the Ruff

Started by CaptainRMF, April 04, 2020, 09:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

Hey Guys hope everyone is OK and staying safe. So after 3 weeks of self quarantine with the wife I'm finally down to the last 5 gal. pail of reels my Dad left me when he passed. He must have had them a while cause they have a lot of Green Patina on them.  :o He wasn't good on maintenance. Would just buy another reel. This is what I found.
3- Deep Sea Mariner #49
1- Super Mariner #49
1- Deep Sea Mariner #149
and 1 box for a 349H Master Mariner
The first 5 reels are pretty ruff. Will clean them up as best I can put the on this site, as fishable not shelfies.
Then I opened the box and there was the Surprise wrapped in newspaper. A Penn Master Mariner 349 Black with line on it that looked Brand New !! Absolutely no corrosion, no scratches, no marks at all. I know my Dad wasn't a collector so it had to be a spare they he never used. It's as cleans a reel as I've ever seen. Gonna take the line off, open it up and service it. Will post pics. for youz to see. If anyone can date it and estimate a value I would appreciate it.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Sorry the pictures are sideways. If the Bosses can fix, Thank you.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Decker

Hi Ritchy, thanks for posting.  Here are a couple of links to explain the photo orientation problem and how to fix it.  Hope that helps:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27183.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22793.0

Cheers,
/Joe

mo65

I'm not schooled on the Mariners enough to give age and value...but I know that's a sweet 349H! The "H' is for high speed. Enjoy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Sweet 349 for sure. I can't say that is the original box for this reel. The box is for a 349h, and the reel is a 349hc. Not taking anything away from the beautiful 349. Your dad knew better than to just toss it in with the "pile"
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Decker on April 04, 2020, 09:51:45 PM
Hi Ritchy, thanks for posting.  Here are a couple of links to explain the photo orientation problem and how to fix it.  Hope that helps:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27183.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22793.0

Cheers,
/Joe
Hey Decker not that computer savvy. Maybe one of the moderators can flip them for a better view. Thanks                    Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: mo65 on April 04, 2020, 09:54:07 PM
   I'm not schooled on the Mariners enough to give age and value...but I know that's a sweet 349H! The "H' is for high speed. Enjoy! 8)
Hey Mo thanks. Know quite a bit about them. Been using them for years for trolling Striped Bas and Blue Fish here in NJ. I grew up on them thanks to my Dad. Just never seen one this clean.     Thanks   Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 04, 2020, 10:01:21 PM

Sweet 349 for sure. I can't say that is the original box for this reel. The box is for a 349h, and the reel is a 349hc. Not taking anything away from the beautiful 349. Your dad knew better than to just toss it in with the "pile"
Hey Maxed figured that it wasn't original box. He had so many spare reels he probably didn't get to this one or it would have wound up in the pile. He was a user not a collector.  ;)
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

So I got it apart and this is what I found. It's cleaner than my boat which is immaculate. Will work on it tomorrow and post more pics. Thanks.                                                                                                Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Good morning Guys hope everyone is OK. So I cleaned it all up. Used the original 3 stack drag washers that looked like new with Cals grease. Lubed everything with Penn Blue grease and Penn Oil for the bushings. Spool spins like a top. Shined everything up a little more and it's done. Not good at rating stuff but to me I think it could be a 9. Let me know what you all think. Will post pictures in two sets to get them all on. Thanks.                                                           Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

More Pictures.       Thanks for looking                               Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Keta

Nice reel.

Quote from: CaptainRMF on April 05, 2020, 03:01:15 PM
Used the original 3 stack drag washers that looked like new with Cals grease.

The original asbestos drag washers do not play well with grease, soak them in acetone to remove all of the grease and reinstall them dry.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Keta on April 05, 2020, 03:49:29 PM
Nice reel.

Quote from: CaptainRMF on April 05, 2020, 03:01:15 PM
Used the original 3 stack drag washers that looked like new with Cals grease.

The original asbestos drag washers do not play well with grease, soak them in acetone to remove all of the grease and reinstall them dry.

Hey Keta hope you're OK. Thanks for the advice. I did not know that about asbestos washers. Usually I go with the HT-100's but these looked new so kept everything original. How long of a soak is needed and how long to dry. I was liberal with Cals. Thanks "King of the 349's" !  ;D                           Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Keta

Doing well, wife keeps me on a short leash.

A 5 minute soak, wipe down then a 10-20 minutes soak.  Wipe down then let dry in a ventilated area for 30 minutes or so.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Keta on April 05, 2020, 05:23:02 PM
Doing well, wife keeps me on a short leash.

A 5 minute soak, wipe down then a 10-20 minutes soak.  Wipe down then let dry in a ventilated area for 30 minutes or so.
Hey Keta I hear that. Been locked up with the Wife for 3 1/2 weeks already. Been doin so much Honey Do stuff I don't even think it was on the List !!! :o Thanks for the info will do tomorrow. Be Safe.   
Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF