Wels slayer

Started by Tile, April 05, 2020, 09:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

The whole story started when a Senator 113HLW was in my ownership since yesterday. Today after a full teardown of the handle side plate and gear train I put all the brass parts in a solution of vinegar, salt and flour for about an hour followed by a lot of elbow grease. Then new grease was applied throughout and now the handle side plate internals are looking almost OEM :) .

The next upgrade will be a Tiburon wide frame and a stainless steel gearsleeve.
In solid fiberglass we trust

nelz

"salt and flour"? How'd it taste?  ;D  Vinegar soak is well known, but never heard of that. Looks good though! So you're going to fish for Wels catfish with it?

Tile

That is my plan. The salt vinegar and flour trick I saw on a Youtube restoration video and it worked very well so I decided to give it a go. Also I rounded some of the sharp corners on the inside of the plate, this will reduce chipping when the rel will be serviced/upgraded further down the line.

nelz

How hard do those guys pull?

Tile

Even thought I have not hooked any large ones the wels catfish can put up a good fight but nowhere near what the big game saltwater species can dish out.
Many anglers in Europe use large spinning reels and heavy test curve carp rods to catch them with good success. A minority of them are using small multipliers (Abu 700 size) and medium weight boat rods and saltwater rated heavy spinners (Fin-Nor Offshore/Black cat reels)

Donnyboat

Hi Tile, do you have any percentages, of you vinegar, flour & salt solution, thanks cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tile

I just put whatever amount I saw fit.

oc1

Quote from: Tile on April 05, 2020, 09:13:35 PM
internals are looking almost OEM .

I'm not sure OEM ever looks that good.
-steve

thorhammer

Dunno what they pull like, but my uncle in Germany would go after them every year. He was a big guy, about 250, and he had a picture of him sitting on top of one holding its mouth open. He had a head mount and you could put a volleyball in it, easily.

nelz

It's rumored they've swallowed a kid on occasion.  :o

Tile

Only rumors, the largest ones caught measure up to 130kg and they are few and far between.

thorhammer

I believe he fished the Danube and Volga with his buddy from Yugoslavia. Sadly, after the wars he was never able to catch up to his friend again. I saw the mount in 1996 on honeymoon to Germany. He fished Abu 7000 as you stated; one of his prize reels.

Tile

Given that an Abu 7000 reel can stand up well to a wels catfish, the 4/0 Senator is more than capable of making one swim backwards. Can't wait to get my hands on the Tiburon wide frame  :).

nelz

Quote from: Tile on April 06, 2020, 04:25:24 PMGiven that an Abu 7000 reel can stand up well to a wels catfish, the 4/0 Senator is more than capable of making one swim backwards.

In open water even an undersized reel can get it done. But when that beast decides to run into his cave, it's game over unless you have a big reel! Yeah, your Senator will stop 'um either way.

When you do catch one, be sure to post a photo of that bad boy!

thorhammer

Dominick has landed marlin around 300 on the Tank, a narrowed 113H. Catfish is screwed.